Solved: Phone cable on laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Money Pit

Dave
General Question: Does the length of a phone cord from the wall to the laptop have any effect on the computer?
Reason: I have a Toshiba 1800 which I ran on a 25ft cord (aprox) and the modem fried in the first week of ocassional use. My retailer replaced the laptop, no problem. I want to make sure that long cord I used on the first laptop will not damage this new one before I hook it up to that long cord again. I'm thinking resistance? Thanks Dave.

The length of the cord will have an effect on connection performance, but not on frying your modem.

I traveled with several modem devices for years. My standard connection was with a 25 foot cable as the phone jacks in hotels aren’t always convenient to a workplace. Never had a problem. They didn’t have data or reliability problems with the 25 foot cord.

Some hotels have a duplex digital phone system that will fry a modem. You have to check in any large facility before connecting to a phone jack. Most mobile modems will have a warning stating exactly what kind of phone systems you can’t plug into. It’s been a while so I don’t remember the exact designation to ask about. I know friends carried a simple tester for the purpose.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online