1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Phone cable on laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Money Pit, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    General Question: Does the length of a phone cord from the wall to the laptop have any effect on the computer?
    Reason: I have a Toshiba 1800 which I ran on a 25ft cord (aprox) and the modem fried in the first week of ocassional use. My retailer replaced the laptop, no problem. I want to make sure that long cord I used on the first laptop will not damage this new one before I hook it up to that long cord again. I'm thinking resistance? Thanks Dave.

2. RandyG

RandyG

The length of the cord will have an effect on connection performance, but not on frying your modem.

3. slipe

slipe

I traveled with several modem devices for years. My standard connection was with a 25 foot cable as the phone jacks in hotels aren’t always convenient to a workplace. Never had a problem. They didn’t have data or reliability problems with the 25 foot cord.

Some hotels have a duplex digital phone system that will fry a modem. You have to check in any large facility before connecting to a phone jack. Most mobile modems will have a warning stating exactly what kind of phone systems you can’t plug into. It’s been a while so I don’t remember the exact designation to ask about. I know friends carried a simple tester for the purpose.

4. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Thanks slipe: I'll certainly check into that. Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice