Solved: Photo images copied to disc are read only ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

coffee_40

Okay....I copied some of my photos and images to disc so that I could open them and use them later but the disc says they are read only. Have I done something wrong when I copied them to the disc? Also, a friend gave me a disc of her photos to create a slide show for her but the photos are a no show.

Help....Please.....Anyone!

Kaz

You are less than specific when you say you "copied them to disc"

Do you mean a Hard Drive, Floppy or (most likely) a CD?

All CD's are a "read only" medium, so the files will show as "read only".
A CD-RW means you can erase the CD and start again, if "packet writing" on a CD-RW has been used you can erase/replace the file (but that has some drawbacks as regards reliability and portability).

If your friend used packet writing (InCD, DirectCD etc) to copy the photo files on to a CD, then unless you have the software installed you will not be able to read the disk (note above regarding portability).

coffee_40

Sorry...Yes I copied them to cd-r disc.

After much mucking around I have discovered my friend used Nero Showtime. I have this program but as I don't use it I don't know how to copy the photos into a file so I can create a slide show for her so I'll put it on the too hard pile.

Thanks for your help anywayz.

You can always copy the images to your hard drive, then select them all, right-click on them, and select properties. Uncheck the "Read only" box, and you'll then be able to edit the pictures.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, There are some free tools that can do that for you if you want to try one:

http://downloads.designtechnica.com...utes/363355/Remove+Read+Only+Status+2004.html

The one above is $12.

http://www.attributemagic.com/attributemagic_pro.html

SAYS: """AttributeMagic Pro is try-before-you-buy software. If you decide to keep it, you have to register and pay the registration fee $25. Registered users will receive all future versions, free lifetime upgrades, and unlimited technical support.
Your license will be valid for all future versions of the product. You will never be charged for upgrades! """

Here's a free one, know nothing about any of them.

http://www.freewarehome.com/index.h...File_Management/Change_File_Attributes_t.html

If you don't do all that much copying from CDs you don't need any.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online