1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photos emailed are received too large

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by pjlambo, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pjlambo

pjlambo Thread Starter

My father's computer is running Vista 64 and he uses Windows Mail but whenever anyone emails photos to him they come in too big that you have to use scroll bars to view the entire picture. When these pics are sent to my computer and laptop they come in normal size and in thumbnail format that I can click on for a larger image. I use Windows 7 and Yahoo mail. Anyone know how to fix this most annoying problem?

2. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Send him smaller photos.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Since the computer, your's and your father's, computer display the exact same emailed picture differently, then the thing that is different is the program used on each of your computers to view the image. You ought to look into what is associated (defined) to be used for images.

Since it is just your father's computer that is exhibiting the problem you could just alter the image file association as to what is used to view images of that file type (my guess would be it is .JPG files). If the email program used on your father's computer web based, and is something other than MS Internet Explorer (which can alternatively switch between 1:1 pixel and "make the image full window size") then you might look into the controls of that browser. If it is some other client (like Thunderbird or Outlook, etc.) then you will have to research how the picture image ability is associated.

Good luck, it should not be that hard.

4. steigerhouse

steigerhouse

If your dad is viewing the pictures as they open in Windows Mail, it has to do with the size of the picture that is sent. I usually reduce photos to 4 X 6 inches when attaching them to an email to avoid the problem.

5. Peano

Peano Banned

First, download and install IrfanView. It's an excellent image viewer, and it is free.

Open your image in IrfanView and go to Image > Resize/Resample. That will bring up this dialog box:

[​IMG]

Make sure the "units" are set for pixels, and make sure the box is ticked to preserve aspect ratio. In the width and height windows, change the largest dimension to a size that will fit in an email -- perhaps 800 px to 1000 px. Then save the image. (Note in the example above, the long side is 5418 pixels -- much too big to display in email.)

If you have lots of images to resize, you IrfanView can do them as a batch. Go to File > Batch Conversion/Rename.

6. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Just don't save over the originals.

7. hewee

hewee

Always use the SAVE-AS to save so your always save your originals

8. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Although the OP hasn't replied back, my guess is that he doesn't want to reduce the size of the pictures that are sent, only how they are viewed. That's been my problem-I want to full resolution available for printing but I don't want to have to scroll to see the picture so I can decide what to print. As ChuckE suggested, the solution is to change what program is used to view the pictures. (It sounds like switching to Yahoo email would work, but I don't want to do that so, in my case, I no longer view the pictures in the email-I save them to my hard drive & open them in whatever image editor I'm currently using. I change that from time to time, depending on what I'm doing but all of them have the ability to 'zoom' the picture display without changing the resolution of the actual photo.)

9. ChuckE

ChuckE

In that case, I heartedly suggest IrfanView.

10. hewee

hewee

Most all image viewing programs have "fit to window" so your see the image fill the screen.
    Bigger images get smaller and smaller images will get bigger.

I used ACDsee and use the very old version 2.40 that works great and is fast.
    http://www.oldapps.com/acdsee.php?old_acdsee=6

11. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Yes, that's my solution because I never did find a totally satisfactory solution to what I believe is the OP's problem-(s)he wants to be able to 'zoom' photos in the email client. Apparently he can do that in Yahoo mail, but not in other clients. And I can't actually help because I don't know of any clients that do it either-hence my solution of saving the photo & viewing it outside the email client. Not a 'solution' really, but a workaround.

12. ChuckE

ChuckE

Correct, Calvin, and that is why I answered the way I did back in post #3. We don't know what the OP is using for an Email client, and (s)he never told us later, either.

Using an outside image viewing program allows for all kinds of options and possibilities. It would have been easy to just say <name the program>, and be done. But I wanted the OP to first check what their current program provided, and/or have them say what they were using for an Email client.

13. bp936

bp936

agreeing with you all, that saving pictures is the best way and then using Irfanview or ACDSee or whatever to see them.

Now if we could make the people sending us pictures understand, not to send them so huge, today's cameras have too many Megabytes for the pictures, if I just want to see a pictures and then delete them, a screen size would be ok, but, I know too many people who don't even understand, what I mean by reducing, resizing or what program to use.

14. ChuckE

ChuckE

Granted, but that was not the issue from the OP. (S)he wanted to know how to fix (or perhaps explain) the difference between his computer and his father's.

If we knew what he and his father were using for an Email client, or what they were currently doing to see this difference. Knowing that then we would know what to do to resolve it.

You may never get people to understand how to reduce the size of files being sent. With today's generally available high-speed Internet access, and with today's massive drives, the reason for sending reduced files is becoming less critical.

15. hewee

hewee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice