1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop CS2 Crop Tool

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by erick295, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

When I use the crop tool and specify a size, it also resizes my image. It didn't used to do this. How can I stop this from happening? I just want to preserve an aspect ratio, I don't want to resize my image.

I read Photoshop's help, and it seems to indicate that if I leave the resolution box empty, it won't resample the image... but I do have the box empty, and it's resampling it anyway.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm a little confused ... Do you mean the Crop tool or the Image resize function ?

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

I am also confused... when you use the crop tool and set a size would you not expect the image to be resized...?

What happens if you set the resolution box to what the image is?

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

In the Crop Tool - You can only specify the Aspect Ratio.

???? Resolution Box ????
    Do you mean like here ????

Attached Files:

• ww.gif
      ww.gif
      File size:
      69.5 KB
      Views:
  5. buck52

buck52 Banned

Probably not Noyb

more like this...

buck

Attached Files:

6. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

Yes, exactly like that. Adobe's help states this:

I'm entering a height and a width, but not a resolution, so it shouldn't be resampling (and it never used to until about a week ago - now it's doing it all the time).

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Whoops - forgot about that tool.
    Sounds like you know what you're doing and the problem is in PS.
    Have you tried the remove n reinstall it - fixit trick ?

8. Quote

Quote It's My Birthday!

Why do you use Photoshop for such a simple job as cropping an image? If you go to:http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/ you can download JPEGCrops, a freeware program, specialized in lossless cropping, even multiple images without overwriting the original data! Another suggestion: the freeware program FastStone Viewer also has a good cropping possibility and many other features. You can downloadfrom: www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    kind regards,
    LEO

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Quote .. Welcome to the Forum.

To answer your question ...
    Probably because here's a lot of other editing/fixing going on at the same time ... So why open another Program.

Most of us have a default viewer/editor, such as Irfanview, where we do the simple stuff.

10. Quote

Quote It's My Birthday!

Thank you for your welcome.
    For several years I used IrfanView as my default viewer/editor, indeed for the simple stuff. However since I discovered FastStone Viewer I'm addicted to it. It is certainly worth a try!

11. murphy54

murphy54

hahahha...noob....still.....good luck ...will not tell you

12. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I'll try that and see if it works. I was hoping someone knew of a simpler solution.

So far I haven't been very impressed with CS2, it seems to be really buggy...

13. buck52

buck52 Banned

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Mine seems to work really smooth ... but I've had to do the remove and reinstall "Fixit" a couple of times before.
    Never really knew who was being fixed .... Me or PS.

15. slipe

slipe

If the box shows pixels rather than a linear measurement it will resample the image regardless of whether there is anything in the resolution box. Make sure it is reading in or cm.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice