1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop CS2 Crop Tool

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by erick295, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

Wow, that was exactly the problem... thanks! :)

2. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

My crop tool is resampling my image even when I don't want it to. Adobe claims it won't resample the image if you don't have a resolution entered, and I've now heard that it won't resample the image if you enter the units in inches or centimeters. Evidently niether one of these are true, because it almost always resamples my image even when I have no resolution entered and I have the units in inches. Every once in awhile it will work like normal once or twice, but it always goes back to resampling. If I enter 550 in and 366 in, it will make the image 550 x 360 once it's cropped (it's making the image 1 dpi). I just want to keep an aspect ratio - I don't want it to resample! Reinstalling the software did not help, and it does this on my laptop as well.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Does anyone know how to get around this?

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

erick295

Please stick with this thread...
    I removed solved from the title...

buck

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

I must say I'm also confused by how this works...

How are you determining that it's resampling...

I, like you, want to crop to a ratio and be confident that resampling has not taken place.

The rectangular selection tool seems to not resample but I don't see any way to set it at a ratio

buck

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Check the rectangular selection tool choices ...

Attached Files:

• PS1.gif
      PS1.gif
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    That may not be "resampling" .. can you attach a before and after "Image Resize" Pallet.
    Have you tried to click on the "Clear" before inputting the Crop Parameters ?

Attached Files:

• IS2.gif
      IS2.gif
      File size:
      27.1 KB
      Views:
  7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy Noyb...I thought I had tried that before... but I guess not...

The crop tool deal still has me confused though... If you can crop/select with the selection tool and not resample...why bother with the crop tool unless you want to resample... Adobe seems to say leaving the resolution blank does not resample but...

I'm going out to my yard and dig some holes... :)

buck

8. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I know it's resampling, it's pretty obvious when the image changes size :)

The crop tool is easier to use - you can resize the crop area and just click on it to crop instead of using the menu.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Of course it changed size ...you cropped it...

buck

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Cropping will change the size (in what terms?) ... but that doesn't mean it was resampled.
    Try entering the Ratio 3 : 2 ... to get your 550/366 (1.5) ratio.

I have a hunch that since you entered such large numbers ... it changed the DPI to fit ...
    But that doesn't mean it was "resampled".

If you went back to the Image size ... you could change the DPI to 100 (without resampling) and the Image would be 5.5" x 3.7 "
    In this example ... nothing changed except the physical size parameter of each pixel ... which is actually meaningless for all practical purposes.

It's the total image width (or height) in pixels that Matters and will tell the resampling or resizing story.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Another way to look at this ….
    If your original picture was 500 pixels wide (total) ..
    And you tell it to crop to 550 (inches) wide …
    Adobe would have to “resample” to add the extra 50 pixels ..
    And change the DPI to 1 pixel per inch .. to achieve the 550 inches image width.

Adobe will not accept DPIs less that one dot per inch ... so It would HAVE to resample.

It’s been my experience that Adobe will do what I tell it to … Even if I don’t like it. :D

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

My guess here is that you are just as confused/uninformed as the rest of us Noyb... when it comes to how the crop tool reacts/interacts with cs2

buck

13. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

It's resampling, not just changing the DPI.

BUT, you just solved my problem - it IS the fact that I'm entering such large numbers. I tried entering 3x2 inches instead, and it worked. Now I see what it's doing, which I never realized before - it's making the image the size I enter in the box (3" x 2"). I thought it would do this only if you specified a resolution. In that case, that's a very annoying tool, because there should be a way to just enter an aspect ratio.

In any event, the problem is solved again, for real this time. Thanks for the help :)

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    So .. It did what you told it .... It HAD to resample to agree with the parameters you gave it.

It's probably also changing the DPI to agree with the "Inches" you told it ... but that's NOT resampling.

The physical size, in inches (as determined by the DPI) is NOT Important.
    What is Important is the total image Height and Width in Pixels.

Is there enough Pixels to Print, or Display, at the chosen picture size, in inches, to be reproduced at a reasonable DPI.

The only time DPI is Important is when it's displayed or printed... and that may NOT be what the DPI of the image is.
    This was an interesting Puzzle.

15. buck52

buck52 Banned

Print only...nothing to do with display

very misleading tool...

buck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice