1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop CS2 Crop Tool

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by erick295, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I do this professionally. Trust me, it was resampling. But now I finally know why ;)

It just seems dumb to have a crop tool that doesn't just let you enter an aspect ratio and crop the image without changing its size. If you enter px, it resamples the image. If you enter inches or centimeters, it resizes it, evidently resampling it if neccessary to make it at least 1 DPI.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    But ... I can change the display size on my monitors with different pixel resolutions ... also ???
    So - wouldn't the displayed "DPI" have to adjust accordingly ... just like a print ??

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    That's why I use the Rectangular Marquee Tool for my Aspect Ratio Cropping.
    It isn't constrained to the Physical Inches parameter and doesn't modify the DPI.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

All due respect but why would you expect to crop an image and not change it's size...

I must not be understanding you...

buck

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

I believe that would be PPI not DPI

6. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

Your monitor has a certain DPI for each resolution (the average is somewhere around 100), but it doesn't matter what DPI the image is when it's on your screen - a pixel is a pixel. DPI is only used in print. You can open a 1dpi image and a 1000dpi image, and they're both going to look exactly the same on your monitor. One's just going to print a whole lot smaller.

What's really funny is that the "rule" that stuff on the Web needs to be 72dpi is a complete and total myth. Operating systems use 72 or 96dpi to calculate font sizes - it has absolutely nothing to do with images.

Unless you're printing something, it doesn't matter what DPI it is.

7. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I don't want to change the size of the cropped part. I just want to trim off the edges around it without affecting the part I'm keeping.

8. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

It's kind of a PITA to use though, since you can't change its size very easily without redrawing it...

9. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

BTW, perhaps the biggest folley of all is that if you want your Web site to be viewed by Windows users, you should make it 72dpi, and if you want it to be read by Mac users, you should make it 96dpi. I can't believe how many people have told me this. If that were even true at all (and it definitely isn't), then the numbers should be reversed - Windows uses 96dpi to calculate font sizes, and Macs use 72dpi.

10. buck52

buck52 Banned

Is the display percent the same for the cropped image as for the original... In this test I did it would appear that no sampling has taken place

Attached Files:

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes ... The total picture size (in Pixels) will be reduced by the Percentage Cropped off...
    unless resampled.

12. buck52

buck52 Banned

I realize that.

I'm still not convinced that erick295 is not getting what he wants. That test I did, atleast on my machine, did exactly what he wants... No change in size of the cropped part...just dump the unwanted parts...of course you lose pixels unless you sample which he does not want...

buck

13. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

Did you miss my post? I enterred smaller numbers and it worked.

14. buck52

buck52 Banned

15. erick295

erick295 Thread Starter

I was referring to this - I wasn't getting what I wanted before, but I am now, because of entering smaller numbers :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice