1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop Elements Catalog Locked

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by rainproof, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainproof

rainproof Thread Starter

My computer has an "old" hard drive(F:\) and a newer one(C:\), both with Photoshop Elements, v.3 installed. I was trying to access the catalog on C:\ recently and was blocked. I switched to F:\ and accessed the catalog although it was not up to date. There is an extra file in the catalog folder on c:\, My Catalog.ldb, that is not in the same folder on F:\. I suspect that Microsoft Access is involved. How do I fix it? I am trying to get rid of the old drive. My OS is Widows XP Home Premium.

2. rainproof

rainproof Thread Starter

3. moper

moper

4. rainproof

rainproof Thread Starter

The same HP system installation discs were used for both drives.

I tried your suggestion for taking ownership but I'm sorry it didn't work.

5. moper

moper

Sorry, I misread. I thought you were trying to access the old catalog.

If that catalog is outdated, I don't understand what the problem is.

How are you accessing the catalog on C? Through the Organizer?

In what way are you blocked? Error message?

In the catalog manager, did you try the 'Repair'?

The default location for the catalog is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Catalogs
    It had a .psa extension.

moper

6. moper

moper

Sorry, I misread. I thought you were trying to access the old catalog.

If the old catalog is outdated, I really don't understand the problem.

So the new installation gives you an error when accessing the catalog?
    What Error?
    How are you accessing it? Throught the 'Catalog Manager'?
    Isn't there a 'Repair' option?

The default location for the catalog is: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Catalogs

moper

7. rainproof

rainproof Thread Starter

I added a new and larger C drive and the old C drive became the F drive. Both drives have PSE installed All the photos were copied to the new drive. Access to the catalog on C was normal through either "My Catalog,psa" or "Photoshop Elements 3.0.exe." The C catalog was brought up to date and used until a few months ago when it wouldn't open. There is no error message, it just stops loading after the "initializing the main interface" stage with the top left quadrant of the first page showing. I discovered the catalog file on F would open so have been using it.

Your repair option suggestion is the best lead I've had yet. I see the PSE procedure works from backups which I didn't have for the C drive catalog but I can make one for the F drive catalog and try to restore it to the C drive catalog folder. I did try yesterday to copy/paste the F catalog into the C catalog folder (after temporarily renaming the bad C catalog). It didn't work.

Thanks again for your help. I'll get back to you as soon as I can try out the procedure.

8. moper

moper

The catalog may be corrupted.
    Did you try creating a new catalog.(File, Catalog, New)

Give it any name you like. You can have more than one catalog.

moper

9. rainproof

rainproof Thread Starter

I created a new file by backing up the good catalog to an external drive and restoring to the folder containing the bad one. It worked!

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice