1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop printing problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by SrME, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

I am trying to print in Photoshop, and the image is printing 0.5" too far left. How do I correct that?

Printing Landscape, 8 1/2" x 11"
    Software: Photoshop 8
    Computer: Hewlett-Packard Pavilion
    Printer: HP Deskjet D2680

2. wowzer

wowzer

Are you sure you have the settings correct... The dimensions you gave are for portrait...
    ...width before height

what size is the image you want to print?

3. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

The dimensions are correct; I am accustomed (from WordPerfect) to give the smaller dimension first.

The image is 10" x 7"; that is, 10" wide. It's a 5" x 7" greeting card.

It just suddenly struck me as I look at that measurement that for practical purposes I can get away with the offset problem in this particular case, because the half inch the image is off center would be trimmed anyway. Nevertheless, the theoretical problem remains. And it may still be a least a difficulty even in this case if my client decides he wants text printed on the inside of the card. It looks right in the preview; it just prints off center. I know how to correct that in WordPerfect; I just don't know how to do it in Photoshop.

4. wowzer

wowzer

Can you post a screenshot of the print preview box?

Are the margins set to match the image and the card?

Have you tried orienting ... width first height second... unlike the above quote.

5. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

Responding to Wowzer #4:

1) Er . . . how do I post a screenshot of the print preview box?

2) Margins: The page setup box shows the left and right margins set at 0.125". It won't let me change them. That could theoretically be the problem.

The print preview box also shows the left margin set at 0.125". It has an option for "Center Image," which came up checked. When I uncheck that, it allows me to change the left margin to 0.5". Changing the left margin in print preview does not change it in the page setup box, which remains fixed at 0.125". And the page prints the same way regardless.

3) Orientation: The print preview box shows clearly Height = 8.5", Width = 11". The print preview is correctly oriented, and the page prints with correct orientation.

This file was created and printed successfully by a coworker of mine who left last month. With a minimal knowledge of Photoshop, I am trying to complete a job order she had planned, but for which we didn't get final approval until this week. I am using a different computer and printer (her printer was an HP Photosmart B8550), but basically the same software and operating system. My expectation is that print problems should be connected with printer commands or settings, perhaps due to the change of printers, not to anything in the settings used to create the file itself, which I have not altered.

As I noted in #3 above, I have come to realize that for this particular project, I can print it this way and it will work. The client has confirmed that he doesn't need text on the inside of the card. I am still interested in why it's printing off center and how to correct that. I may need to know that for future projects. But if we can't solve it right now, it's not a burning issue.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I wouldn't be honored ..
    If you look at the content of the post and his signature .. You'll see he's only here to sell something.

I print all my Photoshop images from Irfanview ..
    Do you have another Image Viewer/Editor installed ??

Attached Files:

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Press PrtScr or Alt + PrtScr .. (Just right of your F12 key) ... (Alt+PrtScr will copy just the active window)
    Then open M$ Paint and do a Paste .. (Crtl+V)
    then Save as a gif .. and attach here.

The Spammer is gone now.

Attached Files:

• 11.gif
      11.gif
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
  8. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

I am attaching the Print Preview Box below - thank you Noyb!

This morning I tried printing another file from the same collection (a slightly smaller card), and it printed perfectly with the same settings. I then tried the problem card again, and this time it printed perhaps 0.12" off. Puzzling, but usable. There may be something in this one file that's causing a problem; but it's not an obstacle to using the file - and if it's an isolated phenomenon, maybe I don't have to figure it out right now.

Attached Files:

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'd be looking for a difference in the Canvas size, Image Size and dpi.
    Just a wild guess .. I'd try re-cropping the problem card.

If you have another Image Viewer/Editor installed .. It might make Screen Shots easier than using Paint.

10. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

I'm not aware of having another Image Viewer/Editor installed. Are there editors I might have without realizing it? Most of my software is several years old, and these things change quickly.

Using Paint worked and wasn't too much trouble. I'm glad to know that trick, and may have occasion to use it again.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I doubt it.
    I find that Photoshop is too slow loading/complicated to use it for basic editing/viewing purposes .. (And I'm running a SSD)
    I have Irfanview installed as my system's Default Image Viewer/Editor .. Replacing M$ Image n Fax viewer ..
    And only use Photoshop when I need more editing power.
    Windows doesn't have a good Viewer that can perform basic Edits.

Irfanview and Photoshop play well together .. And there's some tricks I can show you.
    One is an Irfanview shortcut to make screen shots.

Another is a Right Click Shortcut to send an Image to Photoshop ..

Attached Files:

• 11.gif
      11.gif
      File size:
      19.1 KB
      Views:
  12. wowzer

wowzer

I agree. The canvas size and image must match dpi elst you're in for a host of headaches.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I've also seen cases where something can invisibly extend beyond the canvas .. until it's Cropped (again)
    One would think that this would not cause a printing problem .. But who knows ??

14. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

As I get back into Photoshop and rediscover how to handle image and canvas and all that kind of thing, I will very likely come to see what the issue was here. It does not seem to be, in any event, something I was doing wrong with regard to the print commands, or any incompatibility of the software with this printer, or something of that kind. I can get the immediate job done, and then go on to other things.

Thank you both for your help! This is the first time I've ventured to approach the forum with a practical question, and you have been very kind.

15. SrME

SrME Thread Starter

Responding to Noyb:

What exactly is Irfanview?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice