1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop psd Thumbnails in W-XP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Noyb, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I have 3 HP computers, all W-XP home, and loaded with Photoshop and Irfanview.
    When I browse a folder in XP, in the Thumbnail mode, – I have no thumbnail displays for my psd files.
    To see the psd thumbs, I have to use the Irfanview thumbnail browser.

Yesterday, I was helping friend fix his older Dell computer and noticed that his W-XP will display his Photoshop psd thumbnails in the XP folder browser. He also has Irfanview set as his default Viewer.

I didn’t have time to try to find out why his computer will display the psd thumbs – and mine won’t,
    and I'm not sure I would have known where to look.
    Until now - I didn't know this was possible.

Anyone know how to turn this XP thumbnail function on, for the psd file types ??

2. lister

lister

Thumbnail support for Windows was disabled in CS onwards by Adobe because some users found that their files were being damaged or lost. If you had PS 7 or below installed previously then the psicon.dll (that handled PSD thumbs preview in windows) will still be on the system, hence the ability to see PSD thumbnails.

Adobe has Bridge now to handle PSD & other files - I, personally, don't use it as it's a huge resource hog.

Irfanview can only see the Thumbnails of PSD files if the 'maximise compatibilty' option is checked in PS preferences (on by default), which saves a flattened composite of the image that most image viewers can see.

If you really want the thumbnails back (with the possibility of losing some of your files), then this page has information on where to get the psicon.dll file and how to get XP to load it.

http://www.notestips.com/80256B3A007F2692/1/TAIO-68UEVH

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

That explains it .... He had older versions of Photoshop installed ... before updating.

All my C: partitions are basically fresh XP installs (as of CS1 or CS2 ) - so no previous files exist.
    Your right - better safe that sorry.
    I'll just use Irfanview's browser if needed.

Many Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice