1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Photoshop - saving extracted foreground image

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by RideJunkie, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RideJunkie

RideJunkie Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm new to Photoshop. I'm trying to save an image without the white square background. I was able to create a layer by going to Image > Extract and tracing around the object. I haven't figured out how to save the extracted object. When I save the image, it looks the same as the original (white background included). I've tried saving in different formats (JPG, GIF, PNG, etc.). How can I save the foreground image only? I've spent way too much time today looking for this, and it's probably very simple (and will make me feel like a schmuck I'm sure).

Thanks.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    First .. Save the Photoshop psd file .. So you don't loose it.

I assume you want to save the layer with Transparency ??
    With the layer selected and visible .. save as a png.
    Your Viewer is probably adding the white background in place of the transparency.
    Open the png in PS and see.

Not sure where you want to go after you save the foreground.

3. RideJunkie

Saved the psd file. Saved it again as a png...still has the white background.

The layer is selected and visible in the Layers section (bottom right area), but not in the main window. I can't seem to figure out how to bring that layer image into the main area so I can save it.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm having a tough trying to visualize your problem ????
    Notice in the attached ...
    That the background layer is not selected (active) and the eyeball (visibility) is not selected.
    When this is saved as a png .. the picture saved from layer 3 will have transparency.
    But the viewer may add a white background .. Like below

Attached Files:

5. RideJunkie

Aha! Once I unselected the eyeball on the background, that did the trick. I need some practice with Photoshop apparently.

Thanks! :)

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. I was hoping that was it.

If you're trying to "copy" this foreground to another PSD file .. you don't need to save it as a png.
    Just open Both pics in PS .. select the layer you want to Move .. and DRAG it to the other psd file with the move tool

This is your post .. Holler anytime.
    You should have no problem getting help ..The PS gang will join us soon :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice