Solved: Physical Memory Dump

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

s.haulk

I have a customter with a Dell Dimension 4600 running Win XP SP2. She only has 256mbs of dual ddr ram running at 333mhz. They are in the correct slots that I can tell. The pc is a refirb that she purchased from her local pc repair shop. Anyhow is she tries to run a disk in the dvd drive or tries to plug anything into the usb ports on the pc she gets the dredded physical memory dump error and can't do anything else but a hard reboot.

It boots back up with no problems but the desk top is terrible slow to load. Other than that the pc runs good or better should I say after I did some maintenance on it. She wasn't to thrilled when I told her that probably needs upgrade her memory to improve the performance and get rid of the physical memory dump error. I told her that based on two things. One the task manager shows that all her physical memory is being used while windows is running. Two I caught a brief glimps of a google headliner where someone had stated that this was what caused this type of error.

I went to some tech forums tonight to find out more about this error and now understand that it may not be a memory problem at all but could instead be an issue with the driver on her secondary video card installed on the pc or it could be something else like the Hard Drive getting ready to crash or something. I just want to know if I made a good call or if I should be bashed over the head with an idiot stick? Thank you.

s.haulk

Well hey thanks for the no replies everyone. I will probably close this later today. I will also try adding a few more tags first I guess.

s.haulk

She got her memory sticks today so I am going to put them in and hope that this solves the problem. If not will will try a few other things that I looked up for troubleshooting this and if they don't work I will do as you have asked and post the zip and the scan results. Only one question though. The file is only created when this happens right? Because when I look on my PC I don't see a folder that goes by that name. Thanks.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can set it up so next time a crash occurs a dump file will be saved. To do so... right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings. Then enter settings to match the red circled area in the attached picture.

Attachments

s.haulk

I just cleaned up her PC last night by removing a bunch of unnecessary software and that fixed it. Thanks anyway though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online