Solved: Pick the failure!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

galldor

Hi all!
Im wondering if anyone could offer any advice on what component needs replacing in my computer!!! I have to admit that my computer was without a side panal for many months thus exposing it to the wonders of my dusty room!

Basically the problem is data keeps getting corrupted on my hard disks.... (2 maxtors IDE) this includes the registry or any particular file... any time this file is accessed the computer restarts or shows a blue screen....
Now whenever i try to reinstall windows it says certain files cannot be copied! (ive tried reformatting installing to both different drives using differnt windows disks and different cd drives! on different ide cables and ports). When it does install there always seems to be a problem (at the moment it dosent show anything when a windows pop up box appears such as when u enter a cd). And the last time the registry got corrupted.

Now this alll points to a hd failure.... however i tried installing xp on my old old maxtor drive and similar problems occured at installation (could be cos the hd's oldschool and has been lying around for ages).

When i tried to connect the hard drives thrugh an sata convertor the hard drives formated to 100% and then windows installer said the hard drives could not be formated.
I tried putting the hd in my other computer via an sata convertor and the sata manager said that hard drive failure was immenent.. however it managed to format the drive! (this was in xp)

any suggestions???? I have an abit Max v2.0, p4 2.4, 512kb ram

Many thanks

Good Evening Galldor, it has the inference that the hard drive may have bad clusters or magneteic surface deterioration.
There is a shareware program you may find useful here http://www.dposoft.net/
This can be downloaded and made into a boot disk, tha program is a HDDRegenerator it regenerates magnetic surface problems. Try giving it a run or two.
Cheers, qldit.

galldor

cheers lads! I ran the powermax diaganostic and it told me that both hard drives are failing and should be replaced!... Im running the HDD regenerator now... hope it can get some results.....

Any ideas how both hard drives got corrupted?? probley was me given them a lesson in dustology

G'day, the magnetic surface material retention ability appears to deteriorate probably due to repeatedly using low magnetising force and basic general magnetic decay.
The regen program apparently repeatedly applies a higher intensity force that re-enables lost domains. The shareware program only fixes one of these "bads" but can be re-run as far as I know and wil fix others.
The problem is that there may be hundreds of clusters in iminent fail status, so you will very quickly appreciate how this thing works.
Where this becomes really assistive is when the first cylinder has "bads" and they are able to be restored.
That program is quite amazing. There is a similar program called "Spinrite" but it is a buy before you try type! There is a lot more to this.
qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Before you toss the hard disks, I'd try a memory diagnostic overnight. Bad memory can cause all sorts of issues. It may indeed be the hard drives, but I'd eliminate other causes first.

Did you test the drives in another system? This would certainly be a valuable test...

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

galldor

Ok so now im in the same dilema again!!!.... I did the memtest and it came up with 16,000+ errors all in the same memory region....... so im guessing the mem is dead!! (I have to sticks of 256 mbr ram and the problem seems to be around 180.8)
However i still dont understand why the hard drives didn't format under the sata......

Any ideas what to do next??

Im about to take the hard drive out and run the diagnostics on another computer to see if there is anything wrong or not.....

which sata converters did you use? some are only compatible with specific motherboards/chipsets. infact, i haven't heard of any particular converter working 100% with different motherboards... not that i've researched it much. :)

If you are getting memory errors you need to fix that first. Try running the memory test with only one stick of ram until you find out which one is bad then replace the bad one.

Then you can try running the disk test again.

galldor

hey... thanks for the responces....

My sata convertor was some cheap one from scan.co.uk.....

I took the memory stick out that was bad and the memory test came back ok.... however i ran the hard drive tests and it still said it was failing!!!!!

Im guessing the only thing to try would be to do that hdd regenerator and hope for the best... as well as getting new ram.... (i tested the ram sockets as well to make sure).

if not im guessing i will have to get some new ram and a new hd!!!! (the current hard drives seem ok for data access tho)... but how long will they last???

any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!!

Drives usually last working perfectly until something really important is needed and when the critereon is met where no situation could be worse, they quit.
Even if they are slaved.
Qldit.

jiml8

memory errors and hard drive errors - on both IDE and SATA? Regardless of what HD you stick in there?

I'd be taking a good hard look at the power supply. If it is OK, then I'd be taking a look at the voltage regulators on the mobo.

Could also be a good idea to have the "faulty" memory tested in another computer to
completely rule it out as bad.
Kinda strange when you get errors on both harddrives and the memory as well ?
But then again, it's offcourse possible.

galldor

ok now u lot have got me scared!!!! Both hard drives are maxtor 6Y080L0 IDE.
when i run the maxtor diagnostics it says i should replace the hard drives.... The memory that was messed up i removed.. now there seems to be no memory errors.

I tried recovering the hard drives with hdd regenerator but the maxtor diagnostics still said the hard drives were failing.

The thing i am most worried about is buying new ram and a new hard drive just to find out its the mother board messing things up!!! is there any tests i can do to eliminate the motherboard???

G'day, yes I have never been really keen on Maxtors, you are doing it in stereo!!!
If there has been any chance you might have removed or fitted the memory with a live power plug in the back of the machine it could easily explain the memory dying, and the drives could easily have been a bad batch or whatever.
So I would be inclined to consider some new memory and a new drive. (I like WDs personally) and pressing onwards. Maybe changing religion might be an idea also. LOL.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online