1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: picture storage

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ddude58, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ddude58

Ddude58 Thread Starter

I have many old photos that i'm scaning and putting in a folder on desk top. Will this folder take up a lot of space where it will slow me down? Also aol has this x drive that can can install and store them into. Does anybody know anything abouth this x drive? Aol has a lot of weird programs and wondering if this is one of them.
    thank you
    David

2. badjuju

badjuju

Hi Ddude....Just how many pictures are you talking about? Unless you have so many that your hard disk doesn't have much space left, it shouldn't slow your computer down. I don't know about Aol's x drive, but just from experience, I would be wary of using Aol to do anything other than getting online. :p

3. Ddude58

Ddude58 Thread Starter

So far I have put about 60 in that folder and have many more to scan. I don't think my PC is slowing down with this many yet. As for aol I don't like to download anything they have to offer. The few times I did my computer went nuts until I removed what I download and some times it not easy getting their junk out. My plans are to make a photo show with back ground music and send to relatives and also want to try to burn a copy on disk.
    thanks for advice
    David

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Right click on the folder, go to properties, it should tell you how large the folder is.....if you're scanning in high resolution, it is possible to eat up hard drive space quickly.

5. badjuju

badjuju

No problem :) 60 is not that many. How big is your hard drive?

Just for an example, I have over 4000 pictures on my computer, as well as many other programs and files, but I have a 160 gig hard drive and still have 120 gig of free space.

Go with your instincts on Aol. I've worked on several computers that had it, and what a mess it creates.

6. badjuju

badjuju

Oh yeah, and what she said :D

7. Ddude58

Ddude58 Thread Starter

Thank you everybody
    I also Have 160 hard drive and so far pics only taking up 19.16 mb
    so I guess I'm ok
    David

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

60 pictures and only 19 megs :eek:

Wow, what resolution are they?

9. badjuju

badjuju

:D AcaCandy

Dude, You have lots of room on your hard drive. You must be scanning at a terribly low resolution. If you plan to make a slideshow with your pictures you will have to scan at a much higher res. Otherwise, no one will be able to see them without a powerful magnifying glass. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!