1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Picture/Transfer/Attachment Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by WyoComGuy, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Just found this site and this is my first post.

Some months ago I had reason to change OS from Windows XP to Windows 7. I downloaded my "Pictures" onto a thumb drive along with some other items I wanted to save and reinstall after the OS change. I transferred the photos, from thumb drive to my hard drive with no problems. The photos when saved to the thumb drive did so in mass with no divisions and/or folders when they were transferred to my new operating system. So, I painstakingly transferred them to my desktop and then back into new folders in my photo library. So far no problems showed up only a sore butt from sitting for a few hours doing the task. After the download and transfers were complete I deleted the folder that had stored all the photos from the download, since it was considered unnecessary and keeping the duplicate photos took up additional hard drive space.

Fast forward to a few days ago when I tried to download a photo as an "attachment" to an e-mail. I went to the photo wanted, clicked on it, then right clicked on it to preview it and discovered the following message in a pop up window.

" The item (name of photo chosen) folders saved on thumb disk 033.jpg that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly" Below this was two buttons named "Yes" or "No". I also noticed a small bronze padlock that showed up next to the folder the photo was selected from, which I have never seen before in almost 20 years of computer usage, but not by any other folder in the library of photos?

I then tried to access other photos in other folders. Any time I tried to access a photo that had been one of the ones downloaded from the thumb drive I encountered the same problem and message window. When I tried to access photos that had been added, or downloaded, since those of the thumbdrive photos I had/have no problem attaching them to an e-mail. The problem seems to have developed only concerning those photos downloaded from the thumbdrive. The problem is made worse because I have since deleted the photos from the thumbdrive!

The bottom line is that I have access, and can see the various thumbnails of the photos in question. However I cannot view, or "preview", or "open" those photos. So I need help answering the following questions;

1) The photos are apparently in the computer since I can see the thumbnails, but since I cannot access them are they lost?

2) Since the above error message indicates the photos are/were related to the thumb drive, when originally downloaded, does that mean that I could only access them if the thumbdrive were plugged into the computer? Since they have been deleted from the thumbdrive I hope this possibility is not relevant.

3) If the photos are not lost, or corrupted in some manner, how can I access, and ultimately attach to e-mails again, the photos described?

4) What does the bronze padlock mean that shows up next to the specific folder of photos I was trying to access?

I should add that I was able to access the photos downloaded from the thumbdrive for a while with no problem at all, after I had sorted and filed them in specific folders. But after the initial problem encountered attaching photos to e-mails I deleted them and re-downloaded them from the thumbdrive. I also renamed the folder thinking to avoid any cross contamination or confusion with any trace of the previous folder of the initial download and upload of the photos.

I will be happy to try and answer any/all additional questions, or clarifications, necessary. Thanks to any/all who may respond. Hopefully this is a confusing and difficult problem for me, but, hopefully, it is something easy to fix????:)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI RADEON 9600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 59093 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P4B266LA
    Antivirus: McAfee® Security-as-a-Service Anti-virus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If I interpret that more or less accurately it sounds like you deleted your only copy (or copies) of a bunch of files. You may be able to recover some from flash drive or hard drive using data recovery software. I've used Recuva Portable and Restoration.exe.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    WyoComGuy:

Not to get off the subject of your issue, but I want to throw in my 2 cents worth.

You have a 2002 - 2003 era desktop (I'm guessing it's a HP/Compaq brand) that you upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7.

It has an Intel Pentium IV 2.00 GHz single-core processor and only 1 GB(1024 MB) of DDR RAM.

It supports up to 2 GB(2048 MB) of RAM, so you need to max it out if you want to see an improvement in speed and performance.

Besides the very outdated hardware in it, you have McAfee installed, so it's my guess it's running like a turtle most of the time.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Hello TerryNet and thank you for your help.

Yes, I have deleted, from the thumbdrive, the photos. No, I have not deleted the photos, in the computer, that I downloaded from the thumbdrive.

I deleted them from the thumbdrive the last time, after downloading them back into the computer, because for some reason each photo had been duplicated in the storage. Instead of about 150 photos it had "saved" about 300 +/-, which was tiresome to separate each time downloaded. So I figured just to download them one more time, separate them and organize them, and keep them that way after discarding all the duplicates. I also kept one folder with all the photos thinking that in this way I could get rid of the thumb drive storage. All the photos still show up in "My PIctures" but opening them, or attaching them to e-mails, has become impossible for the reasons mentioned. That is where I am at now.

5. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee, I enjoyed your "2 cents worth" thank you.

Yes, my computer is somewhat older and dated. But I started with computers in 95 with a "Compaq" brand computer and used Windows 3 as I recall. I learned how to "update" computers with better CPU's, Video cards, Audio cards, Memory, even CPU fans, and managed to get many years out of that first computer. This one I have had since 2002 when I purchased it and have only upgraded the CPU from a 1.6 to a 2ghz processor, and a more powerful Video card some years ago. I agree I need to max out on the Memory but finding, and then patronizing, adequate computer component stores where I live in Wyoming is difficult. Or it requires a good deal of driving to get to where I would need to be. The bottom line is I agree with you about my computer it's time is coming to be replaced. But it actually isn't too slow since I don't save or keep any program, folder and content, temp file, or anything I don't need any longer than I have too. Consequently my hard drive is only about 30% used (occupied) at present. However I have a much newer laptop "notebook", by HP that is much faster as you would guess. I still like the old desktop computer style the best though so I keep this one going.

You are correct it is an HP Pavillion 750n computer. Yes, I use McAfee currently. I decided to give McAfee another try recently since I avoided it for many years. I never liked it since I used a product of theirs when I first started using computers. It was called "FirstAid" and was a diagnostic program as well as a protective security type program. I conflicted with everything I tried to download so it didn't last long. Then went to Norton systems and used them for many years until the programming got so invasive and huge it caused me big operational problems. Then went to Avast and was with them for several years, free version, which worked perfectly well (still like the company). I never got over the usefulness of a good diagnostic program though, which resulted in a few years using "Paretologic", which I feel are an excellent company with a good product. It seems though with time I am coming around to just using what I buy and not trying to "soup it up" anymore. So far the new McAfee programming, at least what I have now, works pretty good. In almost 20 years of using a computer, and being a novice, at best an intermediate user, I have had only two major computer problems. Not bad, at least until this confusing problem with accessing my photos showed up. Have any thoughts on how to get access to my photos, and/or be able to attach them to e-mails?

I had only one other minor problem with my pictures on the computer. For some odd reason when I accessed them all I could see of the photos was a generic Microsoft icon image for each photo. This was tiresome because I had to constantly "open" them to see what each photo was? I finally figured it out, and it was very simple, I went into "Advanced" properties for photos and took the checkmark out of the box that said something about using the Microsoft "icon" to identify the photos. Once this box was unchecked, or checked I can't recall now, the thumbnails of my photos showed up and I could identify any/each of my photos easily. I was hoping it was something this easy that could grant me the authority, or access, to the photos downloaded from the thumbdrive????

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on one of those icons and select Properties. Are you finding that it is a shortcut, as in my attachment? If so, what is the target location? Is there anything at that location?

If it is an actual photo I don't understand why you cannot open it. What is the full name (really only interested in the extension)?

Attached Files:

7. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Hi again TerryNet,

Interesting question thank you! I went to "My Pictures" and opened the folder with some of the photos in question. I did as you suggested and right clicked on the photo, which is now in "icon" mode and no longer showing the photo in the thumbnail. I then clicked on "Properties" and went to the "Target" box. Inside the target box was the following (I will include all info to help you):

"G:\Documents\My Documents\My Pictures\Our Horses & Shed Photos\Many Older Photo Folders Saved on Thumb Disk 023jpg".

Also, I would have attached an image of the actual icon, which is now taking the place of the photo thumbnail, but I don't know how to do so yet on this site. Hope this helps?

8. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

TerryNet--Follow up:

Decided to check another folder and clicked on another icon/photo thumbnail. This time the "Target" read out as follows:

G:\Documents\My Documents\My Pictures\Flowers & Plants\Flowers & Plants 002jpg"

This time the "Target" did not mention anything about the thumb disk for this separate group of photos.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If each of those cases does the folder actually exist and is the .jpg file there?

FYI--If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

10. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Well, when I open the "Properties" for the individual photo and click on "Open File Location" I get the same message I indicated in the initial Post. The one that says that "it's moved or changed and isn't there". So I would guess that either it is not in the computer anymore, which doesn't make any sense since other photos from the thumbdrive that were downloaded at the same time/s are still there and accessible. Or the pathway is somehow messed up (corrupted?) for the problem photos.

At face value, per the message box mentioned, it would seem that the photos I can't access were somehow dependent on the thumbdrive being connected to the computer in order to be used/accessed. So, it seems, no they are not there.

However other photos also downloaded the same way from the same thumbdrive are visible in their respective folders, and accessible/useable to me. And initially the photos that are now represented by an "icon", and not the photos themselves in the thumbnails for the affected folders, were visible just yesterday even though I couldn't attach them onto an e-mail! So yet another confusing factor is added.

Just thought of one more thing. Originally when I had downloaded all the photos from the thumbdrive, several months ago, the photos were fine, visible in thumbnails, but I used a Windows photo processing (stock program) to download and store them. Recently I changed the processing and storage to "Photo Gallery" which was an option I wanted to try. Would this, or could this, have messed up something?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There is no "Open File Location" in the Properties of a file. You are looking at a short cut. Apparently you have a shortcut to a shortcut to the file (that was) on the flash drive. How this came about I cannot guess.

12. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Hello again TerryNet,

Thank you for your patience and help my friend. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I had some chores to do and shut down the computer soon after my last post to you yesterday.

I see what you mean about the "Properties" info I found indicated that it was only a shortcut. Not surprising to me. However, the info about it being a shortcut to a shortcut was surprising and something I wouldn't have suspected. Never ran into such a thing before. But considering all the facts I have, and have tried to convey, it sorta makes a little sense.

The icons that now substitute for the photos downloaded all have the correct photo designation on them. By that I mean that one icon will have a designation that the icon refers to a photo of a horse, another will have a designation as being a flower, and along with that is the number (jpg type) assigned to that particular photo.

So the folder with the photos is correctly "named", the individual photos within the folder are individually identified and numbered, but the photos are only seen as an icon for the "Photo Gallery" (red round flower). And they cannot be accessed by clicking "open" or "preview". So it seems that it's logical to assume that since the photo is in the correct folder, and is also correctly identified and numbered in sequence taken or entered (downloaded). The photo itself must still be somewhere right?

I have never searched the drive for photos before, a specific photo or "jpg". Is there a way to search for just "jpg's"? Would it be just a simple search of the drive for "jpg"??? If one can find, isolate, all "jpg" files (photos) in the drive it seems I could then find out where they went, IF they are still there right?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe. The actual file was moved or deleted.

Yes. One way is to click on the Start button and type "jpg" (w/o the quotes). Or, open Windows Explorer, select the "C drive" and type *.jpg or just jpg in the search box at the upper right. The results will include the shortcuts.

14. WyoComGuy

WyoComGuy Thread Starter

Hello TerryNet,

You are amazing my friend! Here is what I found out. The first check for jpg's you recommended I actually tried before I heard from you since it was rather simple, and after asking you the question it motivated me to try it. I refer to the click Start and type jpg in the search bar. This didn't bring up much other than a few photos, and a few icons that referred to photos I had recently tried to open.

Your second suggestion was a totally new, to me anyway, method of search. I refer to the Windows Explorer jpg search. This search took a couple of minutes to complete but gave me gobs of photos! Some, which look like Desktop picture background options, I have never seen or knew existed in the computer before today!

Scrolling down the list of photos I found many of the ones I had thought I had corrupted, deleted, or just lost! Farther down I found some items that showed no photo, or icon, just a vertical thin bar like image. Next to this image was a code like designator like "right_over_bg". Down further there were more of such codes, different but still with the underline symbol and usually with the "bg" at the end. I could not bring up any photos of these items. At the bottom were all the photos with the Photo Gallery icon, these also could not be accessed as before when viewed in the My Pictures folders.

At this time an information bar showed up across the top of the Windows Explorer window showing the photos. It asked me if I wanted to "index" the photos to make accessing them easier. I took a chance and clicked "yes" and the bar went away. Mere seconds later I started to study the list of photos again, from the top, and found that the vertical bar images, and the coded designations for the items with the image of the vertical bar had changed. They were filled with photos!!

In short my friend because of your patience and computer expertise I have all the photos I thought I had lost! I have photos I didn't even think or know were there, i.e. the desktop background type photos, as well as duplicates of very old photos I had deleted myself long ago and just figured were gone! You have answered my questions and solved my computer problems, beyond what I would have considered possible! Thanks very much is all I can say!!

Now all I have to figure out is how to get the photos from the list found to my photo collection in "My Pictures"? But I think I can figure that out (hopefully or I will be back) myself so I don't need to bother you any more. Oh, by the way, the only photos that still cannot be accessed are at the very end of the list of items/photos mentioned. They are all of photos that I now have found and retrieved from wherever they were, thanks to you, I don't know why they, or just the icons, are still there in this list but my plan is to delete them since they are useless and unnecessary now to retain.

Thanks again "TerryNet" I appreciate the help more than I can say.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're certainly welcome. :) Must admit that I didn't expect the searches to be anywhere near that successful.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!