Solved: Pictures on my monitors are distorted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have two flat panel displays, a 19” and a 17”
The measured physical aspect ratio of the display area of these two monitors is the ratio 5:4

I’m currently set to display a 1024 x 768 pixel size - which is the standard aspect ratio of 4:3

Occasionally – it’s obvious that a display of a perfect circle or square – is not displayed as such.

My wife is in favor of this distortion because it makes her look thinner.
I can fix this problem by not taking pictures of her – cause I’d rather have a square or circle to look as such.

What am I doing wrong ??

If these are LCD flat panels, what is their "native resolution" as specified in the manual or associated literature?

1024 x 768 is low res for a 19", mine is 1280 x 1024 (5:4)

LCD should always only be run in native resolution.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've always heard, and read, that the monitor displays best at its native resolution - but assumed that meant clarity.
1280:1024 just displays too small to read, or zero the cursor on a tool, so I've been using 1024:768

Never thought to check the ratio of the native LCD display ... with anything other than my ruler and calculator.

I know how to change (increase) most of the size settings in display properties -
but I don't think this covers all the bases ... such as the tool bars in Photoshop ... etc ...

Am I missing a way to increase the size of everything while in the 1280:1024 display mode ?
If not - the wife just will have to stay skinny... :)

Thanks - That clears me up - except why windows only has one 5:4 display mode.

5:4 is a strange ratio, 4:3 and 16:9 are standard. I'm not sure why LCD's adopted a different one.

There's no way to enlarge everything. But I don't know how you can stand using an LCD at a non-native resolution, I think they look awful that way.

bearone2

Banned
Noyb said:
I've always heard, and read, that the monitor displays best at its native resolution - but assumed that meant clarity.
1280:1024 just displays too small to read, or zero the cursor on a tool, so I've been using 1024:768

Never thought to check the ratio of the native LCD display ... with anything other than my ruler and calculator.

I know how to change (increase) most of the size settings in display properties -
but I don't think this covers all the bases ... such as the tool bars in Photoshop ... etc ...

Am I missing a way to increase the size of everything while in the 1280:1024 display mode ?
If not - the wife just will have to stay skinny... :)

Thanks - That clears me up - except why windows only has one 5:4 display mode.
rt click on the desktop/properties/settings and it's a slide bar to change resolution.

i make the icons in the quick launch bar and at the top larger and use larger fonts in appearance.:cool:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
bearone2 said:
rt click on the desktop/properties/settings and it's a slide bar to change resolution.
i make the icons in the quick launch bar and at the top larger and use larger fonts in appearance.:cool:
Yea - Know how to do all (most) of that ... Playing with my new settings now.
but can't make make everything proportionally "bigger"
For example - I can barely read this reply while typing it ... even with my puter glasses - which I generally don't wear.

Sure does make an improvement in the display .. once I get used to it and find a workaround for the "Too small" problem areas.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OUCH ..
Just turned on my Media Center - to watch a little TV (news) on the dual monitor ... a 17"
Now there's a whole new set of display problems.
I can only stretch the TV display window to about 3/4 full screen.
In the full screen mode - the picture 4:3 TV aspect ratio is distorted.
I can't use the full screen mode on the second span monitor because it confines the mouse cursor to the second screen only.

quote :
For example - I can barely read this reply while typing it ... even with my puter glasses - which I generally don't wear.

To increase the font when online hold down the CTL key and use mouse scroll wheel to alter the size font. Also when using Internet Explorer VIEW/ TEXT SIZE make sure its set at leaste to MEDIUM size.
I also wear glasses and had a heck of a time making text legible when monitor is set to more pixels.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
True - but that changes the setting universally, not just locally, and not in all cases like this one - as illustrated below at the largest text size view.

This display would be smaller - but the screen shot is in my 1024x768 mode and has been cropped.

Attachments

bearone2

Banned
Knotbored said:
quote :

To increase the font when online hold down the CTL key and use mouse scroll wheel to alter the size font. Also when using Internet Explorer VIEW/ TEXT SIZE make sure its set at leaste to MEDIUM size.
I also wear glasses and had a heck of a time making text legible when monitor is set to more pixels.
BIGGER FONTS AND ICONS:cool:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thought I'd follow up with my solution to this problem.
Just got a new Samsung 204B monitor... a 20.1"er
The native resolution is 1600x1200 which is the "standard" 4:3 aspect ratio.
This Monitor looks fantastic at the 1024x768 display setting that I like.

I now have a choice of the several 4:3 display ratio settings ..
and, Compared to my old 19" or 17" lcds, everthing now appears as if I was looking at a wide screen on the 204B.
Circles are round & squares are square again - and I guess I'd just got used to looking at a distorted Image since I switched from CRT to 17" & 19" LCDs.

This monitor is setting beside my old 19", in a dual monitor mode, and they are almost the same display & physical height.

The next time I buy a new monitor ... I'll check it's native Aspect ratio first.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In case anyone is interested … Just another follow up with an attached picture of the difference.

The 20.1” Monitor on the left is a 1600x1200 native resolution.
This is an aspect ratio of 4:3 - which means that the picture is 33% wider, than it is tall.

The 19” monitor on the right is has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024.
This is an aspect ratio of 5:4 - which means that the picture is 25% wider, than it is tall.

Both monitors are being driven from the same computer with a display setting of 1024x768 .. a 4:3 aspect ratio.

A perfect circle is displayed, full screen on both Monitors from the same (4:3) Image file … see the difference ?

I was talking with a computer buddy last night and he was doing some presentations for a local Robotics club.
He was adjusting the presentations for how they look, on his monitor, and was curious why it didn’t print the same way.

I had to tell him … What you see on your LCD Monitor … May not be what you have - or get from the Printer.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online