1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pixelated images in IE7

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sy2, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Hello all-

I rarely use IE, but in some cases I'm forced to for work purposes.

For some reason the images in my IE look pixelated or grainy - as if the image is being displayed larger than originally intended. I'm attaching a screen shot to show you guys what I mean. Each SS is 605x309 pixels.

What's the deal here, and can I fix it? It's really annoying on the few occasions that I do need to use IE and it'd be nice to fix.

Thanks for the help (y)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Nothing, eh? :confused:

Man I hate IE....

3. Phoenyx

Phoenyx

I noticed the font sizes are a bit different in the screenshots. Could it be that you have IE set to display in a larger font? Check and see what you've got set in View>Text Size and see if a smaller setting doesn't alleviate the issue.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Also check Internet Options > Advanced tab > Multimedia and see if automatic image resizing to fit the browser window is enabled.

Is anyone using a "web accelerator"? Those things work by reducing image quality.

5. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Text size is at smaller - it doesn't even affect the Home/Forums/My Account/etc... text you see there, though.

"Enable automatic image resizing" was checked under Multimedia, but turning it off didn't seem to do anything. I hit apply, restarted the browser, loaded techguy and it looks the same. For what it's worth, everything under Multimedia is checked except for "Show image download placeholders".

I'm going to fool around with my display options for awhile - any more suggestions would be appreciated (y)

Thanks, both of you.

EDIT: Oh, and no web accelerators - I'm the only one that uses this laptop.

EDIT #2: Nothing in display options worked, including changing screen resolutions.

6. nerdant

nerdant

I came across this exact same problem with my brand new Dell Latitude D830 laptop. It was not only IE that had problems with the pixelization (sp?), but also icons on the desktop and in the system tray. Also problems with the shutdown screen.
    Also notepad did not look right. It was driving me nuts!! Arrrr!!!

I was about to either reinstall video drivers or even Windows XP (i knew calling Dell would be useless).

But I found the problem!!
    my lcd has a native resolution of 1680x1050 (which the video card was giving it). the problem was with the "DPI setting". The "Normal size" is 96 DPI, the "Large size" is 120 DPI. To make everything "look bigger" on the nice high resolution lcd, Dell decided to change the DPI to 120. It made all the graphics/icons/text/etc. just a hair bigger, hence distorting them and making them look grainy and pixely.

The DPI setting can be found on the "General" tab of your video adapter settings.
    (Display Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced button).
    Hope this helps others.

7. sy2

sy2 Thread Starter

Ahhhhhh... mine was set at 120DPI also!

I just changed it now and am going to reboot. Thanks a lot for posting your solution, nerdant! It is much appreciated! :) (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice