1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pixely look after new video card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xymic, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

Hello :) I have a strange problem currently. I installed a new video card few months ago and I've never had this problem before. I have ATI Radeon 9200 vid card. Few days ago, I had to reformat my computer, therefore, I lost ATI drivers. So I installed the drivers, but this time, the graphics look very pixely. If you do not understand, Here's an example of how the graphics look on my computer

Please Help! Thanks a Lot!:)

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

What ATI driver set are you using? Catalyst quit supporting the 9200 series awhile back. You may need an older set of drivers.

3. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

I really don't know which set of drivers I am using, but I installed drivers from the CD I got in the box. On the Cd, it says "ATI Catalyst Software".

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

That should be fine. You installed the motherboard drivers also? They need to be installed before the graphics driver.

5. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

Hm...I haven't installed motherboard drivers. Is there a way to find out which motherboard you are using?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

7. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

Thanks. I found out my motherboard is ASUS P4G533LA and I went to Asus Website, but when I enter the model number in Search box, it doesn't find any thing.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Let me see what I can find. BRB

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

OK you have an Intel 845 chipset. You will definitely have to install the chipset drivers if you haven't installed them.

Now, I am going to try to link you directly to the drivers you will need. The last time I treid to do this it didn't work. You may have to go to the Intel site and find them yourself because they use a session cookie that gets tossed as soon as you leave. :rolleyes: Never figured out why either really. Here is the link.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm

In the attached picture you will see the page I found. You need the 845GL chipset driver. Why didn't you tell me this was an HP/Compaq? Woulda made life easier. ;)

You can most likely get the chipset drviers from the HP/Compaq site. Might be easier than getting them from Intel.

Attached Files:

10. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

Lol, Sorry about not telling the manufacturer of computer. Thought it wouldn't be necessary :p
    Thanks for the link, but as you said it will be easier to get drivers from Compaq site, I went there and found the drivers. Just to make sure, Are these the right ones?

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, they look to be correct. :)

12. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

Okay, I installed the drivers and rebooted my computer, but the problem remains.

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I am really out of ideas. Did you also try reinstalling the video driver? It needs to be installed after the chipset driver.

If you did that????

14. xymic

xymic Thread Starter

Yes, I just did it, but didn't make any difference. Um..It's ok. I can live without ATI, hehe. I bought it for gaming, but it's not that good for gaming and I don't really play games on PC alot. I really appriciate your help and your patience with me ;) Thanks alot!

Btw, I like your sig, lol. I'll mark this solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!