1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Plan to upgrade to XP - but there's a hitch

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hartfa, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hartfa

hartfa Thread Starter

I have an old but very dependable emachine 667id that has never given me problems, with the exception of the floppy drive not working anymore. I've put in a new hard drive to keep up with the time and requirements of new software, etc., as well as a few other components, and recently purchased an extra memory card to install so the system can utilize the gigantic hard drive I put in. However, to do so I really need to upgrade windows. I'm still running ME , but I have a free upgrade to XP available through my work. With the new card, I'll have plenty of memory and hard drive, so I would like to do it.

A friend loaned me his portable hard drive so I could back up my system before downloading and installing XP, but my system won't recognize it.

And my floppy isn't working, so I can't create a backup disk before I upgrade.

So, given these conditions, what would you recommend I do prior to trying to upgrade to XP? I don't want a failed upgrade and then not be able to get back to my system prior to upgrade attempt!

When I upgrade, will I have to reinstall all my other programs I've installed over time, or will it keep them? What about documents, videos, and the like? Will this essentially be a wipe and start over?

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

If the specs I found are correct (Intel Celeron 667), you will be better served with WinME.

Zee

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

XP is an entirely different family of Windows, so some programs won't work and no drivers from ME will work.

You would be better off with a clean installation, which you can do from an upgrade disk usually. It will ask for the ME disk to prove you are eligible for an upgrade, but a clean installation will have far fewer problems. It depends on the disk they give you.

And I agree that 667 is borderline. If you shut down the themes and anything you can to minimize the load, you may be OK.

When you do the upgrade, if you do it from ME, and all works as it should, you will have an option to save the ME files in case you want to uninstall XP.

But that is only if all goes well with this monstous hybrid you are trying to create. Though related, XP and ME have different family trees. The upgrade will be a Monkey-Man.

4. hartfa

hartfa Thread Starter

I can order an XP disc from work - no problem, just that the down load version is free and immediate.

But in order to utilize the hard drive and new memory, I need to run at least 2000. Which I can't get a disk or download of.

All of the components I've added will run off XP, so that shouldn't be a problem. And my programs that I've added are all common programs- Avira, AVG, Spybot, Taxcut, Firefox, etc., so I don't see a problem with those.

I just wasn't sure if upgrading to XP would erase all of my stuff. Is there a free internet place I can do a system back up, since my floppy is dead? Just as a precaution?

Or what else would you recommend, short of purchasing a new computer, which isn't an option at this point?

5. hartfa

hartfa Thread Starter

And the problem with keeping ME is that a) there are no longer any updates for it. b) a large majority of the programs coming out now require at least 2000, and many XP (even simple ones to back up an online blog for my daughter require 2000!). c) ME seems to be the windows stepchild as far as programs are concerned. d) My computer will only recognize about half my hard drive until I upgrade to at least 2000 - pretty big waste there.

So my computer may have been originally designed for ME - but there isn't much left that is! *g*

6. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

I've seen XP just DESTROY other OSes when upgrading, so I URGE you to back up your critical files, or risk losing them forever.

Give us some details about that external HDD; what make is it? What is the problem with using it in WinME? You might only need to run the Add New Hardware wizard from the Control Panel to get it working...

Make sure it is plugged in and turned on BEFORE you boot your system; the Hardware Wizard might detect it at bootup, while Windows loads. If not, open the Control Panel and do it yourself... If you get any error messages, copy them down EXACTLY, then post them here, and we'll try to help you get it working. Right now, that is probably your best bet for backing up a lot of data...

If you do get the portable HDD working, open Windows Explorer, and create a new folder in the root of the portable drive. Then, copy ALL of you files into that folder, NOT into the root of the drive...

This forum will go offline today in less than one hour:

http://forums.techguy.org/site-comments-suggestions/645880-scheduled-downtime-sat-nov-3-a.html

with no way of knowing when it will be back online, so in case you don't have time to reply before they shut the servers down, best of luck to you with this... I'll be looking for a response from you whenever the forums go back online...

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're right that the programs you mentioned are pretty new and have XP/2000 versions, but many won't run when you upgrade. Many have 2 installers and use a different one for the 9x family. Any program that uses drivers (like AVG, Avira, etc.) will not work on XP/2000 since they installed 9x family drivers. They may even crash your updated system and should be uninstalled before any upgrade. The NT family also does not support any virtual device drivers (VXD's) and new .sys drivers will be needed to replace them. You are entering a whole new world. :D

8. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

No need to comment on that, some pros and cons mixed up, but if you really want an upgrade you should be looking at a new machine, that usually comes with an OEM version of Windows, keep your current "oldish" PC as a support system, and start afresh.

If you upgrade, using any of the methods available, your PC will be limping its way into the future and will, sooner rather than later, leave you looking at a piece of junk.

You mention requirements for new applications, but forgot to look at CPU (??), most will need something much more powerful than an Intel Celeron 667.

You will have an OS that supports the program but no hardware to go along with it.

Just my extra 2 cents.

Zee

9. hartfa

hartfa Thread Starter

Well, I ended up scrapping the plans to upgrade. A friend of mine gave me his old system since he got a brand new one. So, I now have all the room I could ever want, XP pro, and a much faster processor.

And all thanks to you all. Without this info, I would have gone ahead with the upgrade and likely ended up with a weak and failing system.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Congratulations.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

11. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice