1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Playing full screen games, computer randomly crashes

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnpepper, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnpepper

johnpepper Thread Starter

Whenever I play fullscreen games such as League of Legends or Diablo. After about a couple of minutes, it will randomly crash. I've done a reformatting on the computer to no avail (the problem still persists). Not sure if it's a hardware issue and if I should get the graphics card replaced.

I've also updated all of my drivers so I know the problem isn't with not having updated drivers.

When it crashes, the screen has rainbow streaks, and the audio starts looping. I have to restart just to go back into my game and whatnot.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

(Ingame for league, I turned off video sync and I have settings on low)

Suggestions on how to fix this problem? Should I downgrade my drivers?

Nvida Geforce GT 630
    AMD A8-5600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.60 Ghz
    8.00 GB Ram

How can I debug this problem?

Also I can't access the boot menu to format from the CD/USB. It takes me to the "start windows normally start windows in safe mode etc" screen.

I've tried all the F keys including the escape key and none of them work, because they all take me to the same screen. The only way I can reformat my computer is by doing it through the actual windows itself. I can't even make my current partition active for some reason even though I'm administrator.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. tom6049

tom6049

It sounds like the video card may be overheating.
    I would check to see if the video card fan is spinning (if it has one, that is).

3. johnpepper

It is spinning like it's supposed too.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Definately sounds like a problem with the graphics card and possible overheating is the best place to start. The fact the fan is spinning doesn't necessarily mean it isn't overheating :)

The first thing we need, ideally, is a bit more info on the system.

What is the exact make and model of the machine, assuming its a prebuilt brand like HP, Dell, Acer etc?
    Have you ever changed or upgraded any hardware components?

As a first look, download and install HWMonitor (its free). Once installed run the program and take a screenshot of it with your PC sat idle at the desktop. Then, leaving HWMonitor running start up a game (doesn't need to be long, 1 min maybe less) then exit the game and screenshot HWMonitor again. Post the two screenshots in a reply here.

5. johnpepper

No upgrade on hardware components; the computer is prebuilt from ibuypower.

http://pho.to/7tTLw

I ran hearthstone as well to do a strain test. It may be an overheating issue like you've said, although I'm not quite sure. Wondering if replacing the graphics card would solve the problem/issue.

6. johnpepper

http://share.pho.to/7tTmx

Here's another test I did. I did a reboot and took a picture of my computer idle for about about a minute or two. I did a second a test ingame while it was full screen borderless. I changed the game from low graphics settings to Medium High to get more data.

7. johnpepper

Bought a new graphics card, seems like it's working. I'm resolving this thread.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1137103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice