Solved: Playing .ram files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

*aussie_blondie

I have a .ram music file that I'd very much like to play but I can't find either a programme that will play it or a programme which will convert it to some other format.
Any ideas please?

You will need Real Player to play that file. It's free but be warned, it tends to be a bit intrusive. You have to slap it a couple of times in it's options to not allow it to take over all your music playing duties.
You can get the latest one here
http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=rnwk
I prefer an earlier version of the programme though which I find a little more well behaved.
You can get that here. I went with version 5 as it's small and at the end of the day, you only really want it to play one type of file.
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=real

*aussie_blondie

Thanks both of you. I had an idea that Real player played .ram files but it just took over my comp the last time I tried it.

I'll try those programmes and report back. :)

Moby - thanks for the link; I installed Real5 and even that wanted to 'phone home' on my other non-internet PC, but at least it played the .rm audios, but not, strangely, the .rm videos which it didn't recognise.
But my main concern is that some of my rm files on that PC are very short and it would be nice to ask Real5 to play all, or a selection, of them but it won't let me pick more than one at a time, and there does not seem to be a play list.
Have you any experience with this?

johnni

As far as I know it only plays one track at a time. I try and avoid real files, I have the player to play the files I can't avoid and that's it. I certainly don't waste any time trying to set up or play with the player apart from turning everything off in it's settings. I can't stand the bloody thing or it's files :) I don't know what options you get with the alternative player offered above, maybe worth a try.
Sorry I can't help.

jdl

I concur with jbcalg above. Real Alternative 1.29 is available at http://www.free-codecs.com/Real_Alternative_download.htm
It will play all files played by Real Player and does NOTHING else to your computer. I haven't used Real Player for about a year and the only thing I've missed out on is the grief I used to experience with Real Player and its "take over everything" attitude.

Try it. You'll like it a lot.

Thanks jdl - I downloaded Real Alt 1.29 and it plays .rm files singly or in any combination.

johnni

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online