1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) playing red alert on Win2K

Discussion in 'Games' started by danielno8, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

Hi, i have win2K pro installed on my computer.I want to play the first Red alert game on it.It ownt let me install because it is for win 95/98.I read something about compatibility programs or something which would allow me to play older games on my Win 2K system.Is this true?If it is where do i get the program or how is it i make it possible to play the game?I cant dual-boot as i havent got the space right now!!

Thanks for any info

Daniel

2. RT

RT

HI danielno8

You can get a patch for Win2000/XP HERE , a bit more than halfway down the page, listed as "COMMAND & CONQUER (XP) - File Updates"

3. RT

RT

Hold on, there appears to be two different games. One called "Command and Conquer" and the other is "Command and Conquer - Red Alert."

If you have Red Alert, I would not install the patch posted above.

This is from the FAQ for Red Alert on that same page

Sorry 'bout that.

You can still try to install from DOS.

4. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

how do i install in DOS and play in DOS??

Thanks for the reply

Daniel

5. RT

RT

Well, my understanding is that W2K doesn't have true DOS since it is NT based, so this may not work anyway.
    I'm not running W2k, so bear with me if some of this isn't precise.

Put the CD in your drive and let it spin up, if it auto runs cancel what ever pops up.

From the Start button go to Programs and look for something like MS-DOS Prompt or Command Prompt. It may be under Accessories, or even System Tools.

When you've found it and clicked on it to open the DOS-like window, change directories to D: (assuming D is the letter of your CD drive, if not replace "D" with whatever is correct for your system.)

Type D: and press enter. You should have a blinking cursor after the D: on the screen.
    Type "setup.exe" without the quotes and cross your fingers and hit Enter.

6. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

i guess it aint gonna work!!same error!!

thanks for trying anyway!!!

Daniel

7. RT

RT

I was afraid of that since the game info stated they don't support NT.
    (You did cross your fingers, didn't you?;) )

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

BOL

8. danielno8

danielno8 Thread Starter

Nah its cool, i guess i'm just gonna have to get a new hard drive and dual-boot!!!

Thanks

Daniel

9. AtreideS

AtreideS

I had trouble installing Red Alert on WinXP, but to get around it I simply transferred the files across a network. Then the game worked fine (although Network play is disabled). If you have a network then you could try that.
    As for what RT said about the patch, I contacted the EA tech support people months ago about getting Multiplayer to work under WinXP, they told me to install the patch. Even though its for a different game. Lol. Crazy tech support people. :)

10. michael_jii

michael_jii

hey about compatibility, right click on the drive where the disk is, then click properties and choose the compatibility tab

11. RT

RT

Hi michael
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the Compatabilty feature is exclusve to XP, Daniel said he runs Windows 2000 Pro.
    Thanks for that info, Arteides.
    EA should put such valuable tidbits in thier support FAQs, don'tcha think? But then - perhaps the Sims has made them all crazy :)

12. asskicker292

asskicker292

does anybody got a no cd crack for red alert? I can get it to work on Windows XP EASILY, but i just need a damn no-cd crack for it, since i'm using a burned copy of the game.. just email it to me.. once i get the no cd crack working, i will tell u guys how to make the game work on windows 2k and XP.

:D

13. AtreideS

AtreideS

Unfortunately, 'cracking' games and using burnt copies is illegal. And is against the policy of these message boards. So you are unlikely to find anyone willing to give you a no CD crack here. However you could still give us the information on getting RA to work on windows 2k and XP. It would be helpful Im sure.
    Thanks.

14. asskicker292

asskicker292

<font face="courier"> <B> alright fine.. i just found my cd's anyway, so here's what i did to get the game to work:

1. Opened up my CD drive via My Computer. (right click on drive, and select open)

2. Right click on SETUP.EXE, and select "Properties."

3. Click on the compatibility tab, then click on the box that says, "Run this program in compatibility mode for," and select Windows 95.

Make sure you don't select Windows 98\ME, because of certain issues with Windows ME compatibility. The game works with Windows 98\ME compat. but the game will go slower and choppy.

4. Click Apply[if it appears] and then click OK.

5. Then open SETUP.EXE [the one you just did the compatibility thing with)

6. Install the game like normal. Viola! No more damn "Windows 5.1 detected..This game designed for Windows 95" crap. woohoo!

7. Go to this website: http://westwood.ea.com/html/techsupp/patches.html#ra

8. Click on the update that matches your language.

9. Download and install the above update.

10. Go to your Red Alert folder. (usually installed to C:\Westwood\Red Alert)

11. Right click on each of the following files, and click properties, then compatibility, then check the box, and then select Windows 95. (you will need to do this on each file individually) :

RA.exe
    RA95.exe
    RASetup.exe
    RunGame.exe
    RunMap.exe
    EDWin.exe

12. Apply everything, and close out of everything.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Run the game with RA95.exe.

15. Kick major *** in the game, and most importantly..... Enjoy!!!

</B> </font>:D

15. AtreideS

AtreideS

Thanks very much for the information. I will try it next time I need to install RA. However you could save me some trouble by answering one more question. After you have done all that compatibility changing, and have RA installed. Can you play Network Red Alert? Ie. Can you go to the Multiplayer screen and select Network Game?
    It would be very helpful if you could answer that. It will save me spending time reinstalling RA just to check. Thanks. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice