1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please explain what KB means in pics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by robbbb, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Hello
    I have experimented with this all day and don't know if it even matters. I can understand that if a pic is altered yet remains the same size it can change it's KB but if I take the same pic and just save it a few times under a different name ie: horse1 horse 2 etc without changing a thing the KB are sometimes very different though the size remains the same 500px X 400px.
    The reason I care is because I wonder if this slows down the loading when someone goes to my site if they are not on broadband and if it means that I use up my space on my site.
    Thanks
    rob

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    KB in file size is Kilobytes (1MB = 1000 KB)

One factor could be the resolution. That would increase / decrease as would the different file types. For example one picture which is in .bmp would be bigger than the same picture in .tiff /.gif, which in turn would be bigger than .jpg

3. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

They are all jpegs.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well in your case, the problem of loading them when going to your website won't be too much of an issue, unless you are planning to have many on one web page.

Out of curiousity, how much of a difference is it?

5. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Sometimes it's 2X to 6X more KB
    and I put several pics on site.
    thanks

6. wilson44512

wilson44512

if you have say 5 pics on your web site and all the pics were 500KB each. and if some one that is on dial up. tries to go to your web site. it will take them longer to load your site. but if you have fast internet speed it wouldnt matter. when i put picks in forums. i always try to keep them below 200KB. so that way it will load faster for others wanting to look at them.

7. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

I changed to a program called Photobie, really like it and it's free. Now the pics are even more kb but I'm staying with Photobie. I still don't know how a pic at the same size and quality can be 40 KB or 280 KB for no apparent reason. Also does anyone know how relevant
    it is and why the discrepancy is possible.

8. wilson44512

wilson44512

its not going to be the same quality. if you change the file size smaller. the picture quality will be reduced. some times its hard to see. but it does do it

9. lister

lister

ps: 1mb = 1024kb

10. slipe

slipe

I just resized an image to 400 X 500 pixels and saved at various quality settings in Irfanview. Without saving any EXIF, IPTC etc I got the following sizes:
    Quality 20% - 10k
    Quality 40% - 17k
    Quality 80% - 37k
    Quality 100% - 152k

The 20% save went up to 25k when I saved the data with the image. I think some EXIF includes a thumbnail and I have no idea of how much IPTC data would increase the file as mine don’t have any IPTC. But it could make a larger difference according to how extensive the EXIF is on your camera and whether you have comments etc in the file. EXIF from that particular little camera is not very extensive. You don’t want to export any data for the web unless you want people to be able to read the EXIF and IPTC using special software.

The lower the quality the more it varies in kb with content. High quality JPGs don’t vary a lot in size and I have no idea how you are getting a 400 X 500 JPG up to 280k. I would guess you are including some data.

It appears to me that many people save at fairly low quality for web pages based on the JPG artifacts. I would think a 400 X 500 pixel image saved for the web shouldn’t be any larger than 30k and probably smaller.

This is the save dialog for the freeware Irfanview. If your program doesn’t have options like the ability to determine whether you save data and thumbnail files I would consider saving from Irfanview. I don’t think you would want anything checked with the possible exception of “Progressive”. I think 60% would be adequate quality – I have seen what appears to be a lot lower on web sites.

[​IMG]

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Maybe this isn't relative here .. But you got me curious ...
    Doesn't the jpeg file size sort of depend on the picture content ??
    Like the two identically sized and compressed images attached ?? (Irfanview @ 90%)

Attached Files:

• 300.jpg
      300.jpg
      File size:
      23.2 KB
      Views:
    • 301.jpg
      301.jpg
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
  12. hewee

hewee

I think details and colors will effect the file size of any image.

13. robbbb

robbbb Thread Starter

Great info! Thanks!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice