1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please help a hardware oblivious guy build a new gaming PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aerodamus, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aerodamus

Aerodamus Thread Starter

For quite some time I have been wanting to build a new desktop gaming computer so I could play games like The Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, Just Cause 2, GTA, and other such games the way they were meant to be played. Ever since I got into playing video games back when I was 7 or 8, I have always been on consoles. Until this March, I never even had a computer that was capable of playing much at all.

This cruddy laptop only cost me $299, but it can play a lot of decent games on medium settings. I got it for my birthday in March from a combination of family members. We've never really had a lot of money to throw around on recreational things, but times have changed somewhat. I graduated high school in May, and since June I have been working at FedEx. The first $2,500 I made I didn't even keep a cent of it. I gave it all to my mom to help out with the family, but FedEx's peak season finally ended last Friday, and I made quite a bit of money.

I figure it's finally time to treat myself to the dream PC that I have always wanted. My budget is loosely based on about $1,200, but I do not want to spend that much at all if I don't have to, but I will spend a bit more if it means avoiding corner-cutting performance in favor of price.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN A DESKTOP PC:
    -Be able to play Skyrim on Ultra (maxed out) settings
    -Be able to use some texture and graphics mods (like 2k textures and ENB stuff) on top of that
    -Have a smooth, non-choppy gaming experience without annoying screen tear, etc.
    -Maintain a minimum FPS of about 50-55 on a screen resolution of 1080x1920
    -Cost as far under $1,200 as possible without cutting corners in performance and quality

I have never really been in the computer world, as I have not been able to afford to, but I do read up on computer hardware quite a bit, because I find it really enjoyable. I know I would be a computer enthusiast who builds computers just for the sake of building and benchmarking them, but frankly, I don't have money like that do blow. Anyway, those are my minimum performance demands that I will go with, and I will not be cutting corners.

My question is this: Can I get performance like that for under $1,200? Because I sure as hell want to try if it is possible. Money doesn't grow on trees, ya know? I don't know much about building computers myself, so I considered websites like www.ecollegepc.com and www.ibuypower.com. What do you guys think of websites like that? Or would I be better off building it on my own?

The thing is, I could really use some help, and I have no idea where to start.

2. dai

dai

build your own

3. Aerodamus

Aerodamus Thread Starter

That's a great help to me...

4. Aerodamus

Aerodamus Thread Starter

Anyone? :(

5. dai

dai

6. Aerodamus

Aerodamus Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I will check back during normal hours.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice