Solved: Please Help. Computer Wont Boot!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Supated

Hi All,

I just recently bought a Asrock P45XE. I installed the board into my case along with everything else. (Q9400 Quad-Core, 2 x XFX 4850, Rangemaster Wireless N, OCZ Gold DDR2 1066, HDD and DVD, FPS Crossfire Power Supply and 500 watt generic PSU) I tried to boot it and there was nothing. I realised that I had not connected the 4 pin connector then bingo everything came on.

The problem was I was then stuck at post, no graphic output. There are three beeps repeating over and over again. I removed the RAM to see if this changed the error code but it did not.

I have checked with my motherboard manufaturer to ensure that the RAM is on there QVL list and it is. I bought 2 Dual Channel Kits. ( 4 x 1GB) I rotated all four round and have tried them in various combinations, to no avail.

When I removed the processor to re-seat it I notice that not all the contacts had a little "dot shaped scratch" on them from where they had come into contact with the CPU socket. I noticed at least 4 without the scratch. Some scratches were even right at the edge of the contact. Would this affect the CPU not being able to find the RAM e.g. a faulty socket?

I have no other DDR2 RAM to test. As I stated the RAM was new and surely not all of it can be defective!

Please if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

All the Best SupaTed

P.S. The motherboard states that it is crossfire enabled, does this mean that I will not need a crossfire bridge as neither the GFX cards or MOBO came with one.

Thanks again.http://forums.techguy.org/register.php?a=act&u=543439&i=5a629e424164b8fb24c6ddf9493abe45d8be9869

Your motherboard has an AMI bios, 3 beeps indicates a problem with RAM. It's unlikely that all your RAM is bad, but worth trying another stick or pair of sticks to see if that resolves the issue.

I see two things immediately that may be connected to your problem.

#1-In post #1 you state you used a 500 watt generic PSU. I believe the 4850 card recommends a power supply of about 450 watts. For the Q9400 processor Intel recommends 13 Amps continuous power with 16.5 amps for at least 10ms. If you have a cheap generic power supply you may not have enough power for the processor and video card. Post the EXACT make and model of the power supply you are using and provide a link to the power supply. You are going to need a fairly "strong", good quality power supply to provide enough power for the processor and card.

#2-From what you describe regarding the dot shaped scratches on the processor socket leads me to believe that you may not have the processor cooler properly installed.

If you are using the standard Intel cooler the "push pins" that secure the cooler to the motherboard the cooler has to be installed so that it is perfectly level so the cooler completely locks down against the processor heatspreader. If the processor pads are not in contact with the socket contacts with at least (17 f.lb) of pressure the machine will not boot.

Since you apparently removed the cooler you need to throroughly clean the bottom of the heatsink and the processor heatspreader, apply fresh thermal compound or a new thermal pad and reseat the cooler.

Supated

I have tried DDR2 800 in it today to no avail again.

Could the "dodgy" CPU connection cause this?

Could the MOBO be faulty?

Could I have shorted something during building?

After all the RAM I am install is OCZ Gold, not basic generic RAM. I should be more resistant to damage due to it overclocking abilities.

All ideas welcome.

Supated

Hi win2kpro,

I have an FSP Booster X3 to supply power to my GFX cards, it comes from an external power source i.e. plug. Here is the link

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?type=3&id=79&page=1&desc=fsp_booster_x3_300w_12v_psu

My power supply is the generic one that came inside the case when I bought it. The PSU in the case powers the MOBO, CPU, RAM, Wi-Fi Card and HDD/DVD.

To eliminate the PSU from the equation i.e. CPU not getting enough power I have bought a new one which supports crossfire with independant rails for the GFX cards. It is a Powercool 650w 80+ certified.

I have securely fastened the processor and heatsink to the board.

Could the board be defective?

Supated

Hi all again.
I was right. Either the CPU or MOBO must be faulty as my new MOBO and CPU came today. Right from the start I had no POST errors. I will be returning them to the supplier as I am still within my seven days!
Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated.
I will now mark this as solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online