1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please help, I'm stumped

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Captainkewl, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Captainkewl

Captainkewl It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

My system was working fine. I installed a new motherboard and it worked fine as well. I realized the new MOBO didn't have firewire, so I put my old MOBO back in. Everything is hooked up correctly and now it turns on and does it's initial check and goes to the Compaq screen. It just stays at the Compaq screen forever. It gives me options to configure boot, enter setup etc., but when I try to go to setup it says entering setup, but again nothing happens. So basically it just stays at the Compaq screen. The CPU and case fans are both running etc. The jumpers are in the right place. It just worked 3 days ago, now it's having issues all of the sudden. Any ideas??

Thanks

2. retzer

retzer

Did you reinstall the OS when you swapped boards? If the boards aren't identical, you might have conflicts.

I'd doublecheck all my connections and reseat everything, even things like memory that you might not have removed when you swapped motherboards. I'd also make sure the board was secured tightly in the case and there was nothing that could be shorting it out. If it still didn't work, I'd reset all my jumpers to default values and disconnect anything not crucial to bootup (second HD, second DVD burner, etc.). Still no joy? Swap out video and HD to see if you can get into the BIOS.

3. Captainkewl

Thanks for the reply. I will try all those things when I get home. Thanks again.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah sounds like ram isn't properly seated or maybe video card...something is not back right.

5. Captainkewl

if the CPU wasn't seated right, would it even POST?? , or would it just not start at all??

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Not likely but possible...

7. Captainkewl

It ended up being one of my DVD drives. When I disconnected it, the comp booted up. Not sure what happened to the drive, it was working.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well I have seen that happen many times....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice