1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please help me put taskbar back at the bottom of the screen

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AlexBell, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

! am running Windows XP Pro SP3.

A couple of days ago when I was working on a spreadsheet and downloading an upgrade I noticed that the Task Bar/Activities bar which usually sits at the bottom of the screen had taken itself up to the top of the screen. I swear I didn't tell it to do that or knowingly do anything to make it do that.

I have searched around the newbie level books I have on Windows XP, and can't work out a way to make it go down to the bottom again.

Can anyone please help?

2. Hughv

Hughv

Left-click and drag it back. You may have to experiment a bit to find the right place to grab it.

3. DerekC

DerekC

Once you have it back to normal, you may want to Right-click it, and choose lock the taskbar.

4. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

Thanks to both your suggestions, but I'm now worse off than I was before. I tried to left click and drag several times, but nothing happened except that once the cursor was very close to the bottom edge of the bar, and I could pull the bottom edge almost halfway down the screen. But the top edge stayed stubbornly at the top of the screen.

I corrected that and tried again with the cursor over the quick start group of icons. That bar came down to the bottom, but the rest stayed at the top.

Then I tried to put the quick start icons back up to the top. I now have the task bar twice the width/depth. In the top left corner is is the Start icon. Next to it is an icon showing that Thunderbird is open, and next to that is an icon showing that Firefox (which is what I am using now) is open. Below the Thunderbox is open icon are the icons for Firefox, Thunderbird, My Computer, Show Desktop, Notepad, and Open Office. At the right edge is a group of icons for the programs which start when I start my computer, including the time and date.

I prefer Windows Classic View, but changed back to Windows XP view to see if that would help. It didn't, so now I am back in Windows Classic view with a task bar in the wrong place and twice as deep as it should be. And if I haven't tried every possible spot on the bar to left click and pull it down I've certainly tried most of them.

Would it help to delete the icons in the quick start group? I can always put them back, but right now I'm wary about doing anything without checking.

Regards, Alex

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

• Right-click an empty area in the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar option
    • Click on the middle area of the taskbar (it should be an empty area) and drag it towards the bottom by clicking the mouse button and bringing it down.

Note: The Taskbar will not move along as you move the mouse. But, after you move the mouse to the bottom most area of the screen, the Taskbar will dock itself to the bottom.
    • Once moved, right-click the Taskbar and enable Lock the Taskbar option.
    If no luck, download the free Taskbar Repair Tool Plus. There's an option to Restore Taskbar to Default Position!

6. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

Thanks so much, that's solved half my problems. I obviously wasn't pulling down far enough. When I pulled it right down it popped into place at the bottom.

But I still have the other problem. If we call depth the distance between the top edge of the task bar and the bottom of the screen then it's still twice as deep as it was and as I want it to be. It's taking up screen area. Can you fix this with something as simple as your other suggestion?

I've deleted the quick start icons, so now I have on the left the Start button, an icon for Thunderbird, and an icon for Firefox. Between these icons and the bottom of the screen is a space a little deeper than the vertical space occupied by the icons. I've tried to pull the top margin down but nothing happens.

Regards, Alex

7. Hughv

Hughv

There are usually three divisions in the task bar. If one of these is in the top part, just move it back down, which should fix the problem.

8. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

No, perhaps I haven't described the problem properly. All the task bar is at the bottom; none of it is at the top.

But the task bar is too 'thick'; the distance between the top edge of the task bar and the bottom of the screen is too great, and nothing I have tried will bring the top margin of the task bar down towards the bottom of the screen and make the task bar + quick start menu+ startup menu any thinner vertically.

Regards, Alex

9. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

10. Hughv

Hughv

A restore point might help, but this is usually easily solved by clicking and dragging.
    Post a screenshot so we can see what you mean.

11. DerekC

DerekC

If your task bar is at the bottom now, but the wrong size, place your curser at the very top of the task bar, it should turn into a double sided up and down arrow. Left click, then drag the curser downwards.

12. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

Thanks to you all.

- I get the double headed arrow, but left click and dragging makes no difference.
    - I've just downloaded and registered TaskbarRepairToolPlus!.exe and am waiting for the registration key before it will work.
    - I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to do a screen shot.

Regards, Alex

13. paisanol69

paisanol69

....using xp,sp3, the easiest way to take a screen shot (if you don't have any 3rd party screenshot software on your computer) is once you have the screen display you want a pic of on your monitor,
    hit the prtscn (print screen) key on your computer keyboard
    open MS Paint
    click on the paste button on the menu
    resize the image as you prefer it to be
    save as a jpeg file,
    then come back here and upload the file in your next post

good luck

14. AlexBell

AlexBell Thread Starter

Thanks again for the information about doing a screen print. Please find attached Bad Task Bar.JPG

This was taken with the task bar unlocked. When it is locked the 'outdent' is not seen.

Regards, Alex

Attached Files:

15. Hughv

Hughv

Those "outdents" (separators) will move. Move the bottom one to the right and drag the top one down.
    This is simply a matter of messin' around 'til you succeed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/886523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice