1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please Help. Messed Up Windows 8 Already

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Kate355, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kate355

Kate355 Thread Starter

Before we begin I admit I'm a liability!

I bought a new laptop with windows 8 (yuck) but decided I would buy a disc and downgrade to windows 7. I put the disc in and all was going well until a message popped up saying it had aborted the install. I assumed all was well and windows 8 would just carry on working.

Now when I start up the laptop there is the following error message

$windows. ~BT\windows\system32\winload.efi

The digital signature for this file couldn't be signified

I can find the file but should I delete it? If you fix this for me I promise not to mess around with the os again lol

Thanks
    Kate

2. bbearren

bbearren

What is the brand and model of the laptop? It is likely to have a factory restore function that will return it to "out of the box" condition.

3. Kate355

Kate355 Thread Starter

Thanks for you advice. I did restore to factory settings and all is now fine. I really don't like windows 8 which appears to be the opinion of many. I do hope Microsoft bring out something to replace it. Thanks again for replying.

Kate x

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    They will unless they go out of business soon. Question is will it be a Windows 7 type fix to "Vista II" or will it be something even worse. :(

If you are having difficulty getting around Windows 8 see the first sticky thread at the top of this forum. Good luck.

5. Kate355

Kate355 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I can get around Windows 8 but feel the apps side of things is a total waste of time and space for a non touchscreen laptop. I think I'd even prefer Vista compared to this new windows lol.

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    It is now a worn out subject, but, The "modern" desktop should be regarded as an icon/graphical replacement for the legacy start menu. It can be customised as such. I am, not happy to use "Metro" apps, as, in my routine work, I need to multitask with two or three programs open, and visible, at the same time. But I have all me old legacy/Windows 7 software installed and with the start up shortcuts in the modern screen.
    Look at it this way. In 7, and earlier, if you did use the start menu, you needed to click through at least twice to get to the program you wished to open. In windows 8, this is a single click of the "Windows" button, to get to the ready opened modern (and what I call) start menu.
    The alternative in 7 was to use taskbar shortcuts, or a host of shortcuts on the desktop. These are still both available in Windows 8, if you prefer. It is now quite easy, in fact, to bypass the Modern screen and go straight to the desktop. By doing this you need never look at that screen again, but enjoy the (slightly) enhanced performance of Windows 8.

7. bbearren

bbearren

You might consider StartIsBack. It returns the Start Button and Start Menu to the Desktop, and can completely bypass the Start Screen. It can be setup to leave only Apps on the Start Screen, and move all of the programs you have installed or will install to the Start Menu. And, it uses native code already in Windows to accomplish this.

It isn't free, but a two PC license is only $3.00. There is a fully functional 30-day free trial. If you like the Windows 7 Start Menu, you'll like StartIsBack.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  9. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!