Solved: Please help - PC has slowed right down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jenonnet

My PC has slowed right down, it takes ages to open programmes. It's driving me crazy! It seems as if it's having to work really hard to do anything. I run spybot regularly and have Zone Alarm Pro & AVG running too.
My operating system is Windows XP Pro with service pack 2.
My computer is an Athlon XP 2000+
1.67 GHz, 480 MB of RAM.
(I had the RAM upgraded to 1GB, so I don't know why it's only saying 480 MB).
Please can someone come up with some ideas as to why it's gone so slow?
Thanks in anticipation. :eek:

Try
start>run msconfig

Uncheck any programs in the start up tab that you don't need started. Follow-up on any you don't recognize.

You can do the same with the services after checking hide all microsoft services.

You can run disk cleanup

You can defrag the drives

You can run a cleaner program like easy clean to tidy up unneeded files and registry entries

O

ODIN 0ERO

open control pannel.

open system.

open device manager.

open IDE CONTROLERS

open PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL

click on ADVANCED SETTINGS.

check if the data transffer mode is set on PIO

or ULTRA DMA

if it is set on PIO MODE....uninstall the primary IDE CHANNEL DRIVER and restart your WINDOWS.

see if your WINDOWS returns to normal.

daddyhominum said:
Try
start>run msconfig

Uncheck any programs in the start up tab that you don't need started. Follow-up on any you don't recognize.

You can do the same with the services after checking hide all microsoft services.

You can run disk cleanup

You can defrag the drives

You can run a cleaner program like easy clean to tidy up unneeded files and registry entries
This is important and you can Google every entry to see what you do not know...the more you eliminate checked here, the quicker your pc will run.
But I am puzzled about the ram. What was in the pc and what did you add? Was this done professionally because that is a big difference and is also probably the problem. It might be as simple as opening the case and pressing down on the ram stick to be certain one is not loose in slot.

jenonnet

I had my RAM upgraded professionally, I don't touch that side of things myself as I don't know enouth about it yet to feel confident that I am doing the right thing and I don't really understand the workings of computers inside the box yet. :confused:

jenonnet

Thanks for your assistance guys, I have run various programmes to check for viruses and spyware, etc. My PC seems a little better & doesn't seem as if it's labouring so hard to open programes.
I still can't understand why when I go into My Computer/properties the amount of RAM showing is 480 MB when I had a professional upgrade to 1 GB. Is there any other way of finding out how much RAM is in the PC?
Thanks again for your help. :)

Download and install this and see what ram it says, though it should be no different...sounds to me like you paid for nothing and the ram is either incompatible and doesn't work at all, or perhaps maybe just loose in slots and you need to open case and press down on it to be certain it didn't slip out on trip home....
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Rich-M said:
Download and install this and see what ram it says, though it should be no different...sounds to me like you paid for nothing and the ram is either incompatible and doesn't work at all, or perhaps maybe just loose in slots and you need to open case and press down on it to be certain it didn't slip out on trip home....
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
It might be better to just get the professional to get the ram working properly.

I can't see how it could be left with ram that did not register after having it installed by a professional
Clearly, the installers responsibility, imo.

jenonnet

Thanks guys, downloaded & checked with your link, it reads the same. Thing is, I had the RAM upgraded quite a while ago & it was working & reading fine when I first got it home. Maybe it's been dislodged while I was changing things round & fitting new printer in, as I had it pulled out of it's usual place (can't get to the back easily due to the way it is in the desk). I'll check inside to make sure it's in the slots properly. :rolleyes:

jenonnet said:
Thanks guys, downloaded & checked with your link, it reads the same. Thing is, I had the RAM upgraded quite a while ago & it was working & reading fine when I first got it home. Maybe it's been dislodged while I was changing things round & fitting new printer in, as I had it pulled out of it's usual place (can't get to the back easily due to the way it is in the desk). I'll check inside to make sure it's in the slots properly. :rolleyes:
You have to be right there if it worked correctly for a while... also check bios settings to see if that could have altered also as there are some where you set the ram speed.

jenonnet

I have had the side off my tower & checked the RAM - it's pushed in well and the My Computer/properties still reads 480 MB instead of 1 gb. Think I may have to change it as it's probably faulty. Don't think I can complain to the chap who fitted it for me, as it was a while ago now & it was working ok at first. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online