1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please help re SP3 uninstall boot issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alex_eman, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alex_eman

alex_eman Thread Starter

Hi

I had XP SP2, and then upgraded to SP3. I tried to uninstall due to rise in system some issues - That is where problems began, every time I try to reboot I get a error:

Questions

Then when I tried to repair the installation from XP disk ( C: ) I go to Recovery Console and it asks me for password it continually rejects it - even though it is correct!

1. I can boot into the same machine ( from another xp installation on d: drive ) I have tried disk repair chkdsk -but is there a way to install SP3 again to the C: drive whilst logged in from the D: drive in the same machine?

2. Is it possible to get an xp repair without the admin password, or can I get this password reset or revealed? ( I originally set the password but the recovery console is just not accepting it).

3. Can I just copy certain files from the D:/windows to the C:/windows that will will overwrite the SP3 install?​

BTW I need to restore this drive because all my software challenge/response codes are there etc

Thanks in advance for your help,

XP
    Intel Q6700

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

1. No

2. No "or can I get this password reset or revealed?" against forum rules to help with that

3. No, its way more than files needed, tons of registry entries also.

That error is due to the fact that the uninstall did not go well and you now have a mix of SP2 and SP3 system files, no good way to recover.

I suggest backing up your data and do a clean install of XP

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Just to clarify, if you are trying to do a Repair install, you don't want the Recovery Console; press Enter on the first screen to install, not R. After the EULA, it will scan for existing installations, and should offer to repair one of those.

Also, are you sure you set a password on the Administrator account? This refers to the Built in account, not a Computer Administrator account you created. If you didn't set a password, try just pressing Enter, as it may be blank.

4. alex_eman

alex_eman Thread Starter

OK Thank you.

5. alex_eman

alex_eman Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try this, and hopefully it wont ask for the password as before.

Cheers

6. alex_eman

alex_eman Thread Starter

Hey it worked!! Thanks so much,

BTW had to use a NTDLR repair boot floppy Ihad to get in after restoration but I'm in, and only minor tweaks to do,

Thanks to all,

:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice