1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: please help to get back my 8months of work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by birde78, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. birde78

birde78 Thread Starter

hi there

please can somebody help me recover my work as it has taken 8 months to do and i think i may of lost it for good.

here is the problem i installed windows xp pro and was prompted to install xp pro service pack 2 from windows update which i did

things were fine until today my son pulled the plug from the wall and the computer shut off
    when i restarted the computer i had a msconfig error and it wouldnt boot so this is were ive been an idiot and used the windows xp pro disc to try and repair the file system i got to the blue start screen and instead of pressing r for the repair i pressed enter to install new copy of windows and then pressed f8 to accept licence agrement.
    usuall it also comes up with pressing r to repair or esc to install new copy of windows but i didnt see the r for repair and like a fool installed new copy of windows pro.

if this helps i didnt delete the partion and it looks like ive just copied over the windows xp service pack 2 i know its there somewhere underneath as when the new copy was installed the used space on c: was over 13.6gb so a new installation wouldnt take up 13.6gb.
    iam desperate for somebody to help me get back my service pack 2 files
    surely there must be a way to undo the new installation and revert back to service pack 2 if i fix the config error.

i would much apreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction and help me get back my course work as it has to be in in august or have i lost it for good

thank you for taking the time to read my post

kind regards

craig

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...

Are you able to boot to either windows installation?

3. birde78

birde78 Thread Starter

hound thank you for kindly replying to my thread
    iam no expert with computers but i know the sort of basics.

yes i can get to the instalation setup i know got windows xp service pack 2 boot floopy discs and a sp2 cd dont know if these can help me???

i think in short terms ive not deleted any partion and installed windows xp pro on top of the windows xp pro service pack 2 my c: drive is showing 13.6gb used space.

if you can help it would be much apreciated

thank you and take care

craig

please accept my lack of computer skills i just use it for doing my work i am a wally and an idiot for not saving non of this on disc but i really do hope i have not lost it all. :(

4. The Hound

The Hound

Okay--let me rephrase--When you start the computer, what happens?

Does it boot normally into the new installation?

Do you get a black screen with a choice of Operating Systems to load?

5. birde78

birde78 Thread Starter

thank you hound

no after i installed the windows xp pro i decided to use the sp2 boot disc to see if it would give me any options to repair.

it came up with repair option when it asks if you want to install fresh version
    so i choose repair it loaded new files and then says will reboot in 15 seconds
    computer rebooted but never got to the instalation screen just stayed as black screen
    so no i cant get onto windows. but the partition still showing 13.6gb so ive just left it as i didnt want to make things 100x worst which like a wally i probaley have

no choices for operating systems or goes to installation screen

kind regards

craig

6. The Hound

The Hound

I'm not entirely clear here-let's see if I got this:

You are (were) running Windows XP pro with SP2 installed.
    An issue on boot made you wish to do a repair installation.
    You booted to the Windows CD, pressed enter to install, accepted the license agreement, and did a new installation. Was there an option to select the partition to install to? or to format and install fresh?
    Did the installation go normally-did files get copied, did the machine reboot, and the installation finish?

7. birde78

birde78 Thread Starter

yes i had a problem with the boot and got msconfig error.
    so decided to put my windows xp pro disc in not sp2
    i got to the main repair console and pressed enter accepted licence agreement to do a fresh install as ive read its best to go through that way instead of pressing r at main screen.
    when i got to the partion it was not showing repair only fresh install and like an idiot pressed to continue with new install.
    yes there was option to choose partition for install and i choose the partion that already had the windows xp sp2 on it. as this was the biggest drive in mb but never deleted nothing just installed windows xp pro on top of windows xp pro sp2.

i think thats why it never gave me the repair option at the fresh install screen because i had a normal windows pro not sp2.

yes the files copied everything went fine until it went to the desktop and i had lost everything only symbol on the desktop was the recycle bin and at that point i knew i had messed up and copied the xp pro over the xp pro sp2.

i had the sp2 discs here and just didnt realise till it was too late that i had used the wrong disc.
    so i decided to go back to the recovery console asgain and repaeat everything i had done previous with the right xp disc but it copied files then rebooted and now i get black screen does not go to the instalation screen but partion still showing 13.6gb. which surely must mean my work and files are still there somewhere??

thank you

sorry for confusing you

kind regards

craig

8. The Hound

The Hound

The recovery console shouldn't reboot--check configuration, load some files, you press r instead of enter, and it should prompt which XP installation to log onto (all on a black screen)...

Where does it stall in that process?

9. birde78

birde78 Thread Starter

GOOD NEWS

i went back into recovery console and checked my partions there seemed to be 6gb unpartioned space on disc so i installed windows xp on that went throught the setup completed ok.

i went to my computer and there was showing local drive c: and local drive e:
    i knew i must be on local drive e: so i clicked into local disc c: and i couldnt belive it my settings for the windows xp sp2 and new install of xp pro what i copied over top.
    and i couldnt belive my eyes my work was there so i copied it to d: and put it on disc and my blood presure and stress levels have gone down a hell of alot since lol :)

thank you for trying to help me hound been much apreciated

i will be posting about something i found with my other computer i did have 40gb now ive only got 20gb so if you can help with that post that would be great

thank you and take care

kind regards

craig

10. The Hound

The Hound

Do take the opportunity to copy your work to CD or DVD--make more than one, if it's important. I've heard around her that data you don't back up is data you don't care about...Start a new thread for the other machine...

I'm glad you worked it out...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice