1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please Help with Photos from my Digital Camera!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by MuFcDudette, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MuFcDudette

MuFcDudette Thread Starter

Where do I start...

The other day/night I was out with a few friends etc you know how it goes, was just taking photos and then a lot of them accidentally got wipped/removed/deleted I'm not sure how, I or a friend prob deleted "all" instead of "this one only" by accident.

My question is:

Is there anyway I can get these photos back? Like a piece of software that I can download that can retrieve them back? Please help 'cause I'd really like these photos.

Thanks!:)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello MuFcDudette, and welcome to TSG.

No guarantees I or anyone else will provide solution but it might help if we knew the brand and model number of the camera as well as is if the pictures were stored in a removable memory card of some type or the camera's built-in memory. If they were in removable memory, do you have a PC based reader for that memory. How much are you willing to pay for the software? Some recovery programs may allow you to check for deleted files and report the chances of recovery but you have to buy them to actually recover the files.

3. MuFcDudette

Thanks! Oh right well.. the camera is "Vivitar. ViviCam 5388". The pictures were stored in a removable memory card. The memory card is Vodafone 256MB. That's really all I know. Em I'm not really advanced or anything with this type, PC based reader? :eek: Would I be better going to a PC store and asking them to try and recover the photos as I don't have a credit card or anything to pay over a computer.
    Sorry if that's not much help..

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A PC based reader is a piece of hardware that is built into a PC or is an external device that connects to PC with a USB cable. The device allows software to read the raw contents of the memory card without having to go through the camera.

Although I have never had done it, you might have better luck first going to a camera / photography store that makes photo prints from memory cards. They may have an in house expert that may be able to recover your files.

Good Luck! (y)

5. MuFcDudette

Oh right I see. Well thanks anyway, I think I'll just try a photography store. Thanks!

6. slipe

slipe

If you took more photos after the pictures were deleted you won’t be able to recover any that were overwritten by other photos. But photos not overwritten are usually fairly easy to recover. You might try this freeware: http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm There are several others that work but some of our members have had good luck with that one.

If your camera is PTP and makes a drive letter you do not need a card reader. Most digital cameras are PTP and the card in the camera when it is connected works exactly the same as the card in a card reader. Just for fun I downloaded a program directly from the internet to my camera. Then I installed the program onto my computer from the camera. I’ve had five digital cameras and they all work that way. There are exceptions, but your Vivitar is probably PTP.

7. MuFcDudette

I took about ten photos after I deleted them and there was roughly about 25, will all of the photos be overwritten or some still there?

Will that freeware give me any viruses?
    Em as I said above I don't know a lot about any of this so PTP? And if my camera has that how do I use it? :eek: :confused:

Thanks for your help!

8. slipe

slipe

If you took ten more photos you probably overwrote ten of the originals but not necessarily. There should be around 15 available for recovery.

That is respected software and definitely doesn’t contain a virus. I haven’t read about it containing spyware and doubt that it does. I don’t worry too much about spyware as it is easy to remove with freeware and does no permanent damage. I don’t think I have ever run a spyware scan that the program didn’t find dozens, none of which seemed to be slowing anything. Programs with spyware are sometimes disabled if you remove the spyware, but that hasn’t ever happened to me.

PTP is the Microsoft protocol for cameras that most manufacturers follow. With the camera plugged in and ready to download photos look in My Computer or Windows Explorer. If the camera made a drive it is PTP and can be used like any other drive. So you can use recovery software with the camera. The drive is usually labeled “Removable Disk” but can have other names. It will have its own drive letter.

9. MuFcDudette

It turns out that my camera is PTP, so I downloaded that file recovery freeware from http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm and plugged in my camera and it worked! I got most of the photos back! Thank you very much for your help! (y) :) :D

I really appreciate it! Thanks! :cool:

10. slipe

slipe

Glad it worked out. Others have had good luck with PC Inspector as well.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!