1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please help with sluggish pc

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JustinVGT, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

I am hoping maybe someone may have some suggestions. I have been having problems with my pc for quite a while. It just locks up for no apparent reason at completely random times and seems to be running slow for its power. A couple months ago I completely reformatted the primary partition and reinstalled Windows XP Professional, hoping that a fresh install would fix the problem. It didn’t and it is still sluggish and locks up.

Here is my setup:

Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 Black Edition motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    512 MB DDRAM
    160 GB, 7200 rpm, 8 MB buffer Western Digital HD
    PNY NVidia Ti4200 64 MB video card
    Windows XP Professional with SP 2

I started another thread about my mp3s skipping a lot and I think it is related to this problem (http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=320216&goto=newpost). For example, when Windows loads the opening musical sound, it is all jittery. The mouse jumps around and is not smooth. I have scanned for spyware and viruses and nothing is found. I have ran HighjackThis and people have said it is clean, please see at the bottom. I only have a few necessary programs load on startup. My second hard drive partition only has all my music and video files. I haven’t formatted that because I didn’t think would be causing the problem. I am thinking about completely reformatting everything again, but I have a feeling that won’t cure the problem. Since I reformatted a couple months ago, I haven’t downloaded anything off the internet except some good programs off cnet.com.

Another problem I have been having for probably going on 6 months is that my dial up internet connection is so bad. I first thought it was PeoplePC, but I have determined it is something with my pc. I used my laptop on the exact same phone line with the same cord and same ISP and the laptop works great. I always open up the Windows task manager and watch the internet connection activity. The modem dials, sometimes when dialing a couple of the numbers lag, as if you were to hold the number down on the keypad. Usually it will connect, but sometimes not. When it does connect, often the activity will show some initial activity, and then it will cut down to 0-1% staying mostly at 0%. While it is at 0-1% I am trying to check email or browse the web, but Outlook Express and Firefox cannot access the Internet. Usually after some time, anywhere from like 30 seconds to sometimes a couple minutes, the programs can then access the Internet and there is activity. Other times, the connection just dies after a minute or so. Then, sometimes it will connect and work fine right away, but then after several minutes of continuous browsing, activity will cut to 0% and either stays there for several minutes and not let programs access the web and sometimes it will disconnect.

I built this PC over a year and a half ago and it used to be just fine. It has a newer hard drive after the older one crashed, but everything else is the same. Now I have been having these problems for quite a while and have been meaning to see if anyone here has any ideas, but am finally getting around to it. I built a pc for my brother and my parents and theirs are running great and I’m usually pretty good at trouble shooting, but I can’t figure this one out.

Here is my latest HijackThis log file for reference:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 6:02:32 PM, on 1/26/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISUM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\SymProxySvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\NISSERV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\IAMAPP.EXE
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsgSys.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\ATRACK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\Justin Wolfe\My Documents\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.peoplepc.com/search
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.peoplepc.com/homepage
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://home.peoplepc.com/search
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\Toolbar\PPCToolbar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: PeoplePal Toolbar - {A8FB8EB3-183B-4598-924D-86F0E5E37085} - C:\Program Files\PeoplePC\Toolbar\PPCToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Personal Firewall\IAMAPP.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\system32\mstask.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ATI Launchpad] C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: ATI TV - {44226DFF-747E-4edc-B30C-78752E50CD0C} - C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\tv\EXPLBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1102052436480

My laptop which is a Pentium 4 mobile 1.8 Ghz seems more powerful than this pc the way it has been running.

Does anyone have some recommendations or ideas on what is causing this. I have my pc connected to my stereo to playback mp3s, but it is getting annoying hearing them skip several times per minute, so I’m going back to cds. I also wish I could fix it from locking up for no apparent reason and my dial up connection to work normally. It’s not locking up because of over heating I’m pretty sure. Using the Soyo hardware monitor, it consistently shows the temperatures to be CPU 110-115F (~45C) and CHA 77-80F (~26C). Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to try to get as many details of the problems as possible. I really appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks for the help,
    Justin

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

See if there are any hints here?

3. Hulk701

Hulk701 Banned

Shouldn't this post be in the Windows XP forum? :confused:

4. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

Sorry, I accidently put it in the wrong forum. Can a moderator please switch it over to the XP/NT/2000 forum?

5. JustinVGT

JustinVGT Thread Starter

I figured out the problem. I had another thread on another problem I was having. Here is the link: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2314295#post2314295. It turned out to be my PCI Ultra ATA controller that my 160 GB Western Digital hard drive came with. DMA transfer mode was not available with that ATA controller when I was checking it out in the device manager properties. I turned off the pc, unplugged my hard drive from that controller and plugged it into my motherboard's IDE slot 1 and took out the PCI controller. It is faster, hasn't been locking up, and doesn't skip a beat playing mp3s.

-Justin

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Justin,

Mark this thread as resolved by clicking on Thread Tools at the top.

Tx

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice