1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please Help :(!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shelbyville, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shelbyville

Shelbyville Thread Starter

Hi,

I really hope someone can help me shed some light on my pc problem. My friend who had XP home on his pc, with dial-up Internet was wanting to burn his pictures onto a dvd. He had apparently had other people trying to do it for him (unsuccessfully)? Somebody had previously installed Nero, so I opened Nero (version 9.0, i think) & created a data dvd & began copying. About half way through the copy, it froze (which it apparenlty does quite often) & even Ctrl, Alt, Delete wouldn't respond. After rebooting the pc started to reinstall the modem driver? There was a warning message that the driver wasn't signed (same driver that hadbeen installed before) & it said it had installed correctly.

Anyway, to cut a long story short it now wouldn't connect to the dial up Internet (port already in use?). Also, it started to crash (no warning, just turn off). On reboot, there was a blue screen with the message about uninstalling resently installed hardware/software. The only way it would boot normally was with safe mode.

Decided to reinstall the OS, which all worked fine.... I installed the discs that they wanted back on also (Lotus, Nero etc) and before connecting to the internet to reg Windows and Norton I burned the dvds he had previously wanted. Shut down to move to the Internet area & now it wont boot properly? The fan is running & the lights are on but no output?

Please if anyone has any ideas what could have caused this.. or potential ideas to fix it please let me know...

Thanks

2. waggy19

waggy19

Do you mean no signal output? Open the base and make sure the video card is seated properly. It might have come disloged in transit.

3. Shelbyville

Thanks for replying!

By output I mean that there is no output on the monitor & no lights on the keyboard or mouse... However when you first connect the PC up to power & switch on the power switch at the back (not to actually boot the pc) the lights on the keyboard & mouse come on, but go off again once the machine is turned on. I hope i'm explaining myself ok? :confused: I'll check the card when I get home to the PC...

4. Shelbyville

Just a thought?? Does anyone think this could be a motherboard problem... or overheating due to the dvdrw (was installed at a later date & had never burned to dvd before?)? Don't know where to go from here?:confused:

5. Shelbyville

Got a solution to this (well an answer anyway). The DVD RW that was installed operated at too high a frequency for the proccessor of the PC & when burning the full DVD's the proccessor burned out & the machine is now dead.... This explains why all the problems started in the first place (after burning the first dvd).

As the machine is already about 3/4 yrs old it's not worth fixing so a replacement is the solution.

Thanks to anyone who spend time on this problem for me :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice