1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bellisimo, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

I just did a Windows XP repair installation and made the mistake of choosing the recommended Upgrade option. As a result it has left me with problems.

What I need to know are the steps to do a repair install using the R option. Do I just run a complete Windows XP installation and will be given the option at some point to do a repair installation by hitting the R key?

Thank you.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Using the Windows XP CD, you're given two options to repair. One leads to the Recovery Console and a a Command Prompt and the other shows up a little further down the line and seeks to reinstall over the existing installtion, leaving you a folder called Windows.old which contains the former system.

Once the initial file copying stage is completed, the first option shows up but for the second you need to hit Enter to install instead of R for repair. You then hit Function 8 to accept the terms of the EULA and then agree to which system you want to replace.

Which one did you hit and what problems has it caused?

3. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thank you. The option I chose was the Upgrade repair installation and the problems it caused are many. I can't access a number of websites like Google and many of my icons are no longer working.

I seem to recall that I used to put in the Win XP disk and start a new installation. Once it got to a certain point in the installation process I was given some options. It showed my disk drives and gave me the option of reformatting or doing a repair install. Is that what you mean?

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

That's what I mean by the second option. I haven't seen an option to upgrade - maybe that was a system to upgrade from Windows 2000 but it's a new one on me. The icons won't work because they link to old programmes in Windows.old which may no longer work and you need to reassociate them with the Programme Files folder in the root of C:\.

As for websites, go into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and look at the file called Hosts. Is there a list of websites in there? Don't make any changes in there - they won't count as it will refuse to save. You will need to open up to show hidden files and protected system files first.

5. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Hi Saga Lout,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I tried another repair installation and it has turned out to be a nightmare. It works right to the end of the process and then hangs on the black Windows XP page when rebooting. I'm trying it for the third time now and the same thing is happening.

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's time to declare end of life on that system, rescue your data, reformat and install on a fresh platform.

To get the files out, use a Linux LiveCD which can operate in RAM only and which can give you access to the hard disk without being installed on it. PCLinuxOS 2010 is a good one from http://www.pclinuxos.com - use that with flash or other external drives to pull out all the files you need - the entire Documents and Settings folder if you have the space.

It's also worth copying the files C:\Windows\inf, C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and C:\Windows\System32\DRV_STORE to make things easier driver wise.

Once you've got everything, format and resintall Windows and if you liked the look of PCLOS, pop that in as well - it will resize the XP Partition and find space for itself and it's useful to back up files from the Windows side as unless the disk physically fails, is unlikely to fall over if XP does.

7. bellisimo

bellisimo Thread Starter

Thanks Saga Lout,

I had already done a fresh installation of Windows before I saw this. I keep all my work files on a secondary drive so saving them was no problem. I also manually saved files I wanted from C Drive before I formatted the disk.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

8. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I'm going to assume that this thread was involving the same computer you were working on here> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/974747-solved-fresh-win-xp-install.html

That thread is already marked Solved........ you should have marked this one so, or asked for it to be Closed, or Deleted it yourself (there is a time limit to delete them, but a Moderator could have helped you).

Since we allow just one thread per computer per issue, this thread can be Closed.

Thank you!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!