1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please move to hardware forum Slow sata drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by InfinityXXX, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfinityXXX

InfinityXXX Thread Starter

Intel P4 3.4ghz HT 800fsb 1mb cache
    Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo Pro Motherboard
    1gb Crucial DDRII 5300 Dual Channel Ram (2x512mb)
    XFX 256mb 6800 Ultra PCI-X Graphics Card
    Qtec 650watt Triple Fan PSU

Connected to the above system are 2 x pioneer 109 DVD Writers on IDE1
    2x 200gb Maxtor Drives 1 on IDE2 and 1 on IDE3 these 2 channels are normally for Raid array which I dont want which is why there is 1 drive on each channel
    2x 250gb maxtor SATA150 drives 1 on SATA0 and 1 on SATA1 these drives show up as Master on the boot sequence

My problem is the sata drives are so slow I copied a 20gig folder and it took 57 minutes and Inew something was wrong so I copied the same 20gb folder to one of my IDE drives and it took 12 minutes so it seems I have something setup wrong

Its starting to drive me nuts now
    so Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Sponsor

3. natcom

natcom

can be the cable or you need a bios update for your mobo that will use the full speed of your sata drive

4. InfinityXXX

InfinityXXX Thread Starter

Ok I got it sussed now

I flashed MB bios which had no effect

When i looked at the drives through disk manager I noticed write caching was turned off so I turned it back on and the results were as follows

IDE drive copy 20gb folder to another IDE drive 14 minutes (write caching on both drives)
    IDE drive Copy 20gb folder to Sata drive 58 minutes (write caching off on sata drive)
    IDE drive Copy 20gb folder to Sata drive 9 minutes (write caching on both drives)
    Sata drive copy 20gb folder to another sata drive 11 minutes (write caching on both drives)

as you can see its a bit better than 58 minutes

5. natcom

natcom

good you go it down yes alot better than 58 min :)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your thread solved in the thread tools. Since you're a new guy, I'll do the first one for you. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/342510