1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Please read full post before posting opinon, thank you

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by bcon76, Jan 13, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Advertisement
  1. bcon76

bcon76 Guest Thread Starter

(Please read full post before posting opinon, thank you)
    I am sorry to bring this up here. I was typing away and watching the world news and something caught my attention. I know that Catholics get a bad rap but why is it that every time I hear about child molestation in the church it has to do with Catholics? (I AM NOT TRYING TO START A DEBATE about religion, who's right or who's wrong) I consider myself an Agnostic (I am not looking for conversion either, just opinions, thank you). My question is: Is this the media, is this some faction of the church or is this just what it seams like? By what I see it seams like is Catholics take advantage of children more then any other religious practice. Again, I am looking for opinions, not attacks against religious practice or my observances.

Thank you for your input.

2. jjb

jjb

Hello bcon76-all is wonderful in Wisconsin-Packers win!!!!!!
    My reply to your post would be,and it is only a guess,First and foremost I would say it has something to do with celebacy and not allowing marriage.Second,possibly just because of the numbers of catholics out there there is a higher number of incidents and more media attention?????
    Just my guess.

3. jjb

jjb

Hello bcon76-all is wonderful in Wisconsin-Packers win!!!!!!
    My reply to your post would be,and it is only a guess,First and foremost I would say it has something to do with celebacy and not allowing marriage.Second,possibly just because of the numbers of catholics out there there is a higher number of incidents and more media attention?????
    Just my guess.

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

How many times have you heard someone say, "My grandfather smoked and drank and lived to be 90!" in justification for not eating right or not exercising or smoking or whatever. The point is people are going to focus on what they want to focus on. I would bet my house on the fact that if you did a study of the incidence of sexual abuse by priests or ministers or rabbi's, you'd find it lower then the public at large. Catholics have been a favorite target of the media for years and that's not going to change anytime soon.

5. hewee

hewee

Mulder,

It does seam to be and has been that way a long time that it is Catholics taking advantage of children more.
    But the same is true in TV and movies that a priest is Catholic. Look around and there my other churchs. So I would say the media has a lot to do woth it.

6. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

As you will recall, there have been rather large verdicts rendered against the Church in the past (as well as the Church establishing a mental health facility just for the treatment of priests with this particular affliction). So what you have are stories involving sex, money, religion and lawsuits. How could any reporter stay away?

7. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

Is boyscout leaders catholics too???? hee hee....

8. combsdon

combsdon

what sells more papers.................plumber assaults teen or priest assaults plumber ? :D :confused:

9. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

It's not just focusing on Catholics but toward priest. But it's more than just a religion base.

I mean come on!! Human beings NEED Sex!! Or it'll build up and really eat at your brain tissues. Look at animals in thier prime. They really do change when they get into that time of year!! They go nuts and in rage!!

My friend Simanese cat is crazy and hates people and would hide when ever we get in the house. But when she's in heat, she comes out and just going nuts on our shoes!!!

For a human... not to have sexual realtions, not to have sexual thoughts about a beautiful naked girl and how soft and silkly thier skin feels against theirs.. etc is not Normal.

To keep all that sexual engery in with Deprive you of the right chemicals and make your mind a little sinister....

Of course not all priest is like that but It's not normal not to experience the pleasures of Sex.... hee hee It's a wonderful thing!! humm.... they can drink the red wine..... get drunk but can't ****? very frustasting....

10. GreenIs

GreenIs

I believe it has something to do with the fact they go by the man made law that catholic preists can not marry nor have sexual relations.
    But as others have said, the media will chose what will get the most reaction and make the money.

11. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, I think the problem in this discussion is that everyone is ASSUMING this happens more often with priests. I think that is an erroneous assumption because its based on what is REPORTED in the media (it could very well be the case, but you can't make that determination by what you hear or read in the media). As combsdon above said, "Priest molests little boys" is much juicier then "plumber molests little boys". Both stories will get reported, but the priest story will get far more publicity and notoriety so you'll will HEAR or READ that story far more often.

I think the lesson to be learned here is don't let the media manipulate you (they definitely try!). Check various sources for your information, use common sense, and then make an intelligent conclusion.

12. Ace4me

Ace4me

And there is nothing much scarier than a hamster in heat!

13. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Hamster------What you are referring to is what male humans call "DSB"----deadly seminal build-up. :D

14. GreenIs

GreenIs

Plus the main reason, I think, it gets so much attention is because we hold these people with great trust so that when something like this happens..we are asked to question what we believe in, what we assume would be safe. We hold them on a pedistal then when they do something wrong it makes it so much harder to take in, to understand the whys.

A person trusts a preist more than anyone would trust a plumber. When you see a person of the "cloth" you automatically have a sense of trust. They don't feel like stranger in the full sense. But some guy whoes the plumber, mechanic, lawyer, anyone, is automatically a stranger in the full term stranger.

The higher the trust level the bigger the story. Like doctors who molest their patients same thing. All has to do with where in sociaty we hold them.

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Crumb said:

Crumb--doesn't that only happen on the Florida State Campus? ;)

I think what you're talking about is the dreaded Hawaiin disease, "Lackanookie" :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice