1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Please tell me about 3D in camcorders.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I see Panasonic has announced the HDC-TM900 camcorder, available in March. My only 3D experience goes back over 50 years so I don't know anything about the current technology for camcorders.

Panasonic HDC-TM900

Panasonic VW-CLT1 3D Conversion Lens

How does one view it?

Do you need special glasses?

Can it be viewed on a standard TV or LCD monitor?

How good is the 3D effect?

Is it really worth the trouble?

Is the aspect ratio the same?

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

You would need a 3D TV to play it back--I wouldn't touch the technology with a ten foot pole--give it a couple of years.

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Well, I 'ain't buyin no' 3D TV.

I read also you lose one stop on the light and the 3D effect is good only for the range of about 1.2 to 4 meters. All I can say for that is that it is better than nothing, which isn't saying much.

I guess I'm now off to order the TM700 from BHPhoto.com, which was what I was doing when I discovered the 900. I have done a lot of reading about the TM700 over several weeks and I think it's my best bang for the buck.

4. Soundy

Soundy

Based on what I saw at the Panasonic demo displays at the Olympics last year...

3D-compatible TV.

Yes.

No. (Well, probably, but it will look screwy).

Depends mainly on the source material. The demo footage we saw, it was spectacular for watching sports... nice, but not as stunning, for things like landscapes. Kinda the same as when HDTV first came out.

They had a few of the 3D camcorders set up for demos as well, it worked really well. I don't recall seeing any limitations in the distance from objects - one camera looked the length of the room and viewing felt... almost like being there. Kinda. :)

Depends on what you want to watch, and the source material available. CBC has already broadcast one Hockey Night In Canada game in 3D this year, and will be doing another soon... from what I hear, it was an... immersive experience.

Yes.

Best thing is really to find out for yourself, by visiting a retailer that has both the cameras and the TVs. And consider what you're planning to shoot with it - as above, some things benefit more from 3D than others.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice