Solved: Please tell me about 3D in camcorders.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

I see Panasonic has announced the HDC-TM900 camcorder, available in March. My only 3D experience goes back over 50 years so I don't know anything about the current technology for camcorders.

Panasonic HDC-TM900

Panasonic VW-CLT1 3D Conversion Lens

How does one view it?

Do you need special glasses?

Can it be viewed on a standard TV or LCD monitor?

How good is the 3D effect?

Is it really worth the trouble?

Is the aspect ratio the same?

You would need a 3D TV to play it back--I wouldn't touch the technology with a ten foot pole--give it a couple of years.

Alex Ethridge

Well, I 'ain't buyin no' 3D TV.

I read also you lose one stop on the light and the 3D effect is good only for the range of about 1.2 to 4 meters. All I can say for that is that it is better than nothing, which isn't saying much.

I guess I'm now off to order the TM700 from BHPhoto.com, which was what I was doing when I discovered the 900. I have done a lot of reading about the TM700 over several weeks and I think it's my best bang for the buck.

Based on what I saw at the Panasonic demo displays at the Olympics last year...

I see Panasonic has announced the HDC-TM900 camcorder, available in March. My only 3D experience goes back over 50 years so I don't know anything about the current technology for camcorders.

Panasonic HDC-TM900

Panasonic VW-CLT1 3D Conversion Lens

How does one view it?
3D-compatible TV.

Do you need special glasses?
Yes.

Can it be viewed on a standard TV or LCD monitor?
No. (Well, probably, but it will look screwy).

How good is the 3D effect?
Depends mainly on the source material. The demo footage we saw, it was spectacular for watching sports... nice, but not as stunning, for things like landscapes. Kinda the same as when HDTV first came out.

They had a few of the 3D camcorders set up for demos as well, it worked really well. I don't recall seeing any limitations in the distance from objects - one camera looked the length of the room and viewing felt... almost like being there. Kinda. :)

Is it really worth the trouble?
Depends on what you want to watch, and the source material available. CBC has already broadcast one Hockey Night In Canada game in 3D this year, and will be doing another soon... from what I hear, it was an... immersive experience.

Is the aspect ratio the same?
Yes.

Best thing is really to find out for yourself, by visiting a retailer that has both the cameras and the TVs. And consider what you're planning to shoot with it - as above, some things benefit more from 3D than others.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online