1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Plug n Play problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgl1, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

whenever I start up my computer(win 98se), I get a message that a multimedia audio device is trying to install. the problem is my sound card is already installed and whenever I try to install the device it can't find the drivers. I delete the device but it still tries to install every time I boot up. If I hit cancel it doesn't show on the device manager. I have to idea how to keep this from trying to install. any idea how to stop this or find out what is the device it's trying to install?

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

what's the name of the audio card on the computer and what's the name of the audio device that windows wants to install everytime?

Did you try disabling the device instead?

go into device manager and under the properties of that device, disable it. That should shut windows up. If not maybe we can find the driver it needs.

3. sgl1

sgl1 Thread Starter

Well it wants to install a pci multimedia audio device but the audio device is already installed. Funny thing, I've never had this happen before and if there is a conflict I have no idea what it is. Now I did move my pci modem into another slot and then moved it back again when I was installing the modem so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. But the modem works fine and so soes the sound card. Now if I try to find the driver it cannot and then it leaves a question mark under other devices. When I disable other devices it removes it but on bootup, tries to find it again. If I hit cancel, it goes away and doesn't pop up under device manager! But every time I reboot, it pops up again?

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

you can go in safe mode, device manager and delete and duplicate mulitmedia devices.

It sounds to me like the pci multimedia device it wants to install could be the modem wave device.

did you install your modem drivers before the sound drivers? You may need to install the modem drivesr again or get the modem installation disk and when it ask you for drivers, point it to the instalation disk.

Did you try uninstalling your sound card drivers, then reinstalling them?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice