1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Plz help! Toshiba laptop freezes & shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ns3799az, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ns3799az

Ns3799az Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need help with an issue that just started on my laptop today, and I don’t know much about troubleshooting so I’d appreciate all the help I can get (plus I’m hoping it’s not a serious issue that I can fix because frankly right now I can’t afford to take it to a pro or replace it). I have a Toshiba Satellite P205-S7402 with Vista Home premium edition. It’s a few years old but I love it, I like the 17” widescreen and I’ve used it for everything, school, work, games, etc. I’m not ready to let go just yet :(

Today it started to freeze up and suddenly shut down after a few minutes of booting up. A couple of times I saw these wide vertical stripes made of horizontal black lines that flickered on the screen and this is where it freezes. A couple of times the dashes would momentarily disappear when I gently press down on the top pad next to the touch pad and I can still see the background in a slightly different shade but then suddenly it shut down and I hear almost a click sound. When I reboot it shows that startup boot screen where it asks if I want to start in safe mode, and then ofcourse I don’t know what to do from there.

I have antivirus software, regularly scan. Every now and then I download games but not too often, but I did download one yesterday and played for a little while with no problems whatsoever. I’ve noticed in the past that the bottom heats up and recently a small piece of plastic broke off from the fan vent so I thought maybe it’s melting! Now that I think about it the power supply connection is close to that area too and I replaced it recently because it was disconnecting like the internal wire broke or something.
    Sorry for the long post…..I hope this info helps a bit, ask me if you need more info…plz help!
    Thank u in advance.

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    Hey well maybe try using the recovery drive if there is one do you mind losing your files or do you need to keep them?

3. Ns3799az

Ns3799az Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I have a lot of files on there that I'd like to save. I even thought I could try to copy them while it still works for the first few minutes but I'm not sure how well that might work! If I can do that I will try to do a recovery, and in the meantime I'm still open to any and all other suggestions. Thanks again for the reply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice