1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: PNY 7600GS 512MB Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathblow, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

I had received a PNY Geforce 7600 GS 512 PCI-E card a few months ago as a replacement for my 6600GT that died. At the time it seemed like a good deal, but almost immediately after installing the card, I found that it was defective. I went to take it back to my local Compusa store, where I had received it, only to find that store, and all others within reasonable driving distance of me had been closed. So I went through there online replacement procedures, and after over a month of back and forth trying to get this solved, they offered me the same card (which I don't want, because from what I learned online, all of these suffer the same defect), or a refund for $140. I'm gonna opt for the $140, unless they will change it to another compatible card instead for me. Here's some info on the problem with the card, if anyone is curious.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=32155&pid=178956&mode=threaded&show=&st=0&#entry178956

Now, my question is, what would be a sutible replacement for this card? I don't want ATI, have never had any luck with those, so would still like to stick to a nvidia. I've found a different model 7600GS, with 256Megs for the same price, or I can get a 8600GS for about $10 more. What else would you guys recommend in that price range?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You sure its a Geforce 8600 GS? Not much info around for it, who's it made by?

The 8600 does have the advantage or a new design and Directx 10 support if you're considering that at some point down the line. And the Geforce 8600 GT is ever so slightly faster then the 7600 GT, possibly more with new drivers. Also note that there are many overclocked versions of the 8600GT like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

3. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

4. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

One other thing, I have a 350Watt power supply, so I want to stick with something that will work with that.

5. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Correct but when this card is paired with a PentiumD 2.8ghz do not expect to see all the new DX10 stuff as you will have to turn many settings to medium low propably. Or even force the card to run on DX9 mode in order to get good framerates later (like a lot of people did with CoD2 or Fear, they had DX9 cards but they were running the game at DX 7 or 8 modes due to slow CPU restrictions...

If you plan on upgrading your CPU too you could get one of the slower 8800s at about 240$. If you want to stay with your current machine and DX9 you could get an 7900GS (150-200$) or the Radeon X1950PRO (150-200$ I think) or you could get that 8600GT just for DX 10 compatibility if you like.

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Go for a good one able to provide 450-500Watts and 20A amperage at the +12v rail. You should check this specs before buying and find one fitting your budget. I propose Tagan and Zalman as the manufacturers you should check first.

7. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

You seemed to misunderstand me Mosquito, I want something that will work with my current 350Watt PS.

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I'm sorry... Please check the following link to get the idea.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=39313

Do not tend those mentioned in the link as granted though.

Look, from my experience I think that the 7600GS will work on a 350W PSU as I have seen it running great with a 400W. The problem is the amperage however and this should be your no1 priority.

9. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

I understand what your saying, I just want one that will work with what I have. looks like maybe a 8600GT would be the best for mine?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you use a Geforce 8xxx series card with anything other then Vista it will be limited to DX9.0c, but it doesn't change the fact that its still a very good card and that almost all current benchmarks aren't using it in DX10 mode anyway. A Pentium D processor won't be much of a limiting factor for a Geforce 8600.

A Geforce 8600 should be able to run on a 350 watt power supply if you do not wish to upgrade it. 350 watt is the minimum for the 8600's I do believe and below the minimum for cards such as the 7900 or X1950.

11. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

In my opinion the 8600GT fits fine with your system talking in performance terms.

-As for the PSU:

From my experience guides like the one in the link I posted above tend to be a little "geeky" as
    they are based usually on speculations and documentation. I ve seen PCs running powerfull graphics cards with low budget PSUs without any problems. You just can't be absolutely sure. The 8600GT can work with your PSU but there is always a small possibility of problems because of low amperage. Anyway, you should seek for a more proffessional opinion about that, maybe ask in a shop or a technician. You can also request support from NVIDIA's website, just make sure you tell them all the info available on your PSU.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The requirements Nvidia puts out is for a full system, so while a 300 watt will be OK in a basic system, a 400 watt may be needed for a fully loaded system, while the requirements call for 350 watt. There are online sites to help determine how big of a power supply is needed liek this one: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

13. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Hmm, according to that Triple6, with my system, and the 7900GS, I need 278 Watts. It's looking like the 7900GS is my best bet, unless there's some advantage to going with a 8600GT without the DX10 stuff?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    7900GS is faster.

But are you sure its only 278 watts, I took a few guesses at some of the parts and configuration and used 100% CPU Utilization but I got 347 watts.

15. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Hmm, i'll try it again with cpu at 100%, I left it at default, since mines never much above that when I check.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice