1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Poison Ivy!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Island Girl, Jul 19, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Island Girl

Island Girl Thread Starter

Sorry this may not be the right "form" for this question but I'm at my wits end!
    Two years ago my husband and I bought two acres of land on a river. Ever since every chance we get (it's about an hour away) we've been working it and may decide to build a house there when we retire. It"s veryjungle like and it's a lot of work. But the very worst of it is the cursed Poison Ivy and Poison Oak! My husband has come down with both several times so bad that he's had to take drugs that are extremely bad for you.
    My question is, is there anything we can plant that will perhaps choke it out. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated...:confused:

2. MNG0304

MNG0304

Very nasty plants indeed, number 3 on my list of very annoying rage inducing things (Ants and people who talk on cell phones while driving are 1 and 2 respectively).

Source

I'd check into the herbicide method, it will probably reduce the amount of exposure you'll have with the rash inducing oils.

The source also lists home mixtures such as

To which I'd add about a tablespoon of clove oil and a few drops of sunflower oil(source). The detergent may be replaced with bath or shower gel or any cleaning product that contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, such as engine degreaser.

Always wear protective clothing, eyewear, chemical gloves and some form of respiratory filter when using herbicides to control large areas.

Or you can get a few goats and let 'em graze....

3. Island Girl

Very scary as he's been pulling and burning as well as spraying. There doesn't seem to be an end...also they say they can be three leaf or five leaf plants which seems to cover many plants LOL
    Thanks

4. hewee

hewee

After I school I was fight fires and we got Poison Oak and some people got it very very bad and some super bad because of the smoke so never burn it.
    I was lucky and did not get it too bad and ten after another time fight fires I stopped getting it and it did not bother me. But 10 years later after not being around fires or Poison Oak I did get Poison Oak again.

5. Bush Lady

Bush Lady

MNGO304, thanks for information on how to get rid of unwanted plants

Here is my way of getting back at that nasty plant and you don't have to spend alot of money...you need:

1 cup of salt,
    8 drops of liquid detergent,
    1 gallon of vinegar,

combine the salt and vinegar in a pan heat it up to dissolve the salt pour into a spray bottle and kill away. Warning this will kill all plants that you spray so don't spray anything important good luck.

I have some think growing here that looks like a rhubarb, but it has picky things that stick to your clothes when the plant dries in the fall. It is growing all over the place and I can't get rid of it. Your concoction just might work. I will have to try this.(y)

I am going to try this next spring when this stuff comes up again.

6. Island Girl

If he hasn't had any problems in that area so far, is he safe? You don't mean he could be affected by the smoke years later do you?:confused:

7. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Since the place we bought has quite a few of these durn plants, have been looking again into best means to rid it too.

On the recipe using vinegar, have heard very positive results; esp. if use stronger versions, 10-20%. Just be careful - quite caustic, will burn flesh too... I much prefer this over herbicides - will naturally break down in the soil.

BTW, vinegar has many potential uses:
    http://www.versatilevinegar.org/
    http://www.vinegarbook.co.uk/

Regarding burning - do NOT ever burn poisonous plants, as the fumes can enter the lungs, causing swelling, pain, and potential severe injury to death.

Couple other sites:
    http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/control.html
    http://www.ou.edu/oupd/pivyp.htm

We used to raise sheep and a couple goats, and yes, they do love to eat the stuff, w/o any harm.

8. hewee

hewee

No I was saying some how after being around it all the time fight forest fire I did not have to worry about getting Poison Ivy. And the it was not till 10 years later that I did get Poison Ivy but I was only fighting the fires for one year. So somehow after being around it like I was I stopping getting Poison Ivy and it was nice because it did not bother me but that did not last.
    Not something that will happen to everyone so if it effects you then say away from it because Poison Ivy effects everyone from a little bit to really bad.

9. Island Girl

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Phew!!

10. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Ummm,,, just curious - can you elaborate about them ants that are talking on cell phones while driving?!?!? :eek: :confused:

Oh, never mind, you mean you have an aunt who drives while talking on her cell phone... ok...

:D :p ;)

11. Island Girl

12. MNG0304

MNG0304

13. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

I've found spraying bleach to be very effective

14. hewee

hewee

Your welcome

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice