1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Poor computer performance with good spec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fubister, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fubister

Fubister Thread Starter

Hello there, I hope it's a good place to post this, some time ago I spend a bit of money to build fairly good pc for a low cost I made it, however computer performance is really low, in fact my old machine from ages ago ran way better. I have Windows 7 Professional with latest updates, also my hardware is using latest drivers, let me tell you what's wrong first.

In games I get pretty low FPS for example;

1. League Of Legends running with the lowest settings I don't go more than 80 FPS and it's when nothing is happening on the battlefield

2. Games like Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Rust Diablo III it's the same or even worse

3. When want to stream/record using various programs (xfire, Open Broadcast, Xsplit) my game it becomes completely unplayable

4. When i set up my machine for streaming and want to use my tv as 2nd monitor FPS goes so low that game is unplayable.

Below I will try post as much info as I can.

Processor

Code:
    Processor

AMD FX-8150 8 core processor
    Socket AM3+ (942)
    Core voltage ~0.950v
    Core speed (jumping between 1500Mhz and 4500Mhz)
    Multiplier (jumping between x7 and x19)
    Bus Speed 199.56Mhz

Code:
    Mainboard 

ASRock 970 Pro3
    CHipset AMD
    PCI-E x16
    Code:
    Memory

Corsair
    Type: DDR3
    NB Freqency: 2195.2Mhz
    Size: 8GB
    Single
    Code:
    Graphics

MSI Radeon HD 7870 Overclocked
    Size: 2048MB
    Core: 1050Mhz
    Memory: 1200Mhz
    Code:
    Hard Disk

OCZ Technology 120GB SSD

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not included the MOST important part; the pw supply. Post the exact pw supply you have installed. In addition, post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

I do see some problems right off;

1 That is a budget mb and as such is not designed for gaming. It ok for a basic build running office, email, etc. It is not going to give you the same level of performance that a high end asus or gigabyte board would give you.

2 The first gen ie bulldozer fx8150 was a disappointment in terms of performance. In many areas it is outperformed by the older 965. In fact after the fx8150 was released newegg sold out of the older 965, 970, T1090, and T1100 chips since they were better performers and had more overclocking performance.

3 Not a big one however you list a single 8gig ram chip. A better config would be two 4gig chips so you could use dual channel for the ram. Again not a big deal. I think most of your performance issues are a low end mb and the first gen FX cpu. The later fx8350 was an improvement however even that is not fantastic.

4 The support page for your mb lists a LOT of bios updates that address either performance or compatibility. Are you running the latest bios on that board? The latest one I found was 1.90.

3. Fubister

Fubister Thread Starter

Power supply: OCZ 750W

Code:
    	Voltage 0	1.35 Volts [0xA9] (CPU VCORE)
    	Voltage 1	1.88 Volts [0xEB] (VIN1)
    	Voltage 2	3.39 Volts [0xD4] (AVCC)
    	Voltage 3	3.36 Volts [0xD2] (3VCC)
    	Voltage 5	1.73 Volts [0xD8] (VIN5)
    	Temperature 0	36°C (96°F) [0x24] (SYSTIN)
    	Temperature 1	52°C (125°F) [0x68] (CPUTIN)
    	Temperature 2	63°C (144°F) [0x183] (AUXTIN)
    	Temperature 3	40°C (104°F) [0x28] (TMPIN3)
    	Fan 1		2705 RPM [0xA91] (CPUFANIN)
    I will have a look at bios updates now. 1 thing I noticed, I set my bios settings to default and i see a improvement, however when Im streaming there is something strange happening, game works perfect for few minutes and then suddenly fps drops to 10 for 2-3 secs and back to normal, and all the time like that, a friend of mine told me it's because of cpu temp going crazy, in that case ~60C is too much for buldozer processor?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your friend is correct; max temp on that cpu is 61C and it will throttle down. Here is the spec sheet for a fx8150;
    http://products.amd.com/pages/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

FWIW I have a fx8350 and I use a coolermaster 212 hsf. It keeps it down in the 30s under normal use and will get to 55C or so when running prime95 for an extended period.
    It would seem that you need better cooling. If you get one of the coolermaster hsf, do be aware that you have to pull the mb to install the backplate [some high performance cases have a mb tray cutout so you can access the back of the mb without having to pull the board]

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing. It looks like you used hwmonitor to check the temps and voltages. Check them in the bios. HWM was a fine program in it's day however that day has passed. Use either the board maker's monitoring software OR check in the bios. Either one will be more accurate than hwm.

I never build with asrock boards however I assume they have monitoring software available on the support page for that board.

6. Fubister

Fubister Thread Starter

you were right, asrock program for this mb is showing 40C when idle, what decent cooling i should look for

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What does the asrock program show for voltages?

This coolermaster hsf is excellent however it is large and takes up a LOT of room.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
    You need to measure the inside of your case to be sure it will fit. In addition, these things are NOT the easiest things to install however their performance is excellent. I recommend test fitting everything prior to applying the thermal compound and doing the final install. I have an overclocked fx8350 [clocked to 4.7gig] and it never gets over 55C.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

9. Fubister

Fubister Thread Starter

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Voltages look ok however unless that was under a load, you really need better cooling. It is showing 53C which is not bad if it was running prime95 or other stress testing program. It is too high if that was just at idle.

I am not a fan of water cooling. IMO it is not a question of if it will leak, it is a question of when it will leak. Unless you are REALLY hard core overclocking, there is no need for water cooling.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW with your cooling problem, I would remove the overclocking you have set. It is showing a fsb of 215 and stock is 200.

12. Fubister

Fubister Thread Starter

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I had a very similar cooler before getting the fx8350 [it had 3 heat pipes as well] It kept my old 965 very cool however it just did not cut it with the fx8350. I had to replace it with the coolermaster.

52C is too hot at idle. I think you have found some or all of your problem.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There are other things that affect cooling;
    1 Case airlow
    2 Size and design of your case. Some are better than others at dissipating heat energy.
    3 If the inside of the case looks like a rats nest with wires, cables, etc, that will impede airflow and effect cooling.
    4 Ambient temp. If the room where you have the system is hot, then the system will run hot.

15. Fubister

Fubister Thread Starter

I found out today that my zalman cooler does not cover 100% of my cpu it's covering only 85% of the cpu and I can even see uncovered core with the thermal paste on, this cooler simply does not fit my gear, could that be the reason of high temp?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice