1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Poor Hard Drive Performance [help please!]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by YLocke, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I will try to explain my problem to the best of my ability...

I have two hard drives. One is a Seagate ST3200822A 200GB IDE hard drive. The other is a Seagate ST3300831AS 300GB SATA hard drive. The 200GB IDE is the primary drive, containing the Windows XP installation.

Lately I've been having problems transferring files between the two, and even having good performance running files from them if something is being accessed. To explain this, I will use music [since I love music and listen to it often :)]

Say I have a music folder on my 300GB seagate SATA drive to save space and performance on my 200GB IDE drive. Let's say I'm playing music from it in Windows Media Player [although the player is irrelevant.] Suddenly I have a need to move a large amount [in storage size] of files, say, 1 GB to or from that 300GB SATA drive while playing music. The music starts skipping and glitching until the files are done transfering.

Also, this transfer would take maybe 8 minutes. Doesn't that sound ridiculous, as I can transfer files five times as large over my LAN in the same amount of time or less?

Also, when transfering files like that, I have *severely* degraded Windows performance, almost so much that it's unbearable [and I'm not just picky ;)], taking into consideration that I have a brand new e6400 Core 2 Duo.

If these would be any help, here are my computer specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 @ 2.13ghz
    1GB [2x512mb] Patriot DDR2 RAM, dual channel
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 motherboard
    eVGA 7950GT

Running Windows XP Pro SP2

EDIT: I checked PartitionMagic 8 just out of curiosity and got a peculiar-looking readout. The red is where I marked. Disk 1 is the 300GB SATA.

[​IMG]

This looks potentially problematic to me, and I'm not really sure how it happened yet. Any ideas?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you right click the drive in Device manager, and choose properties,and click "policies" is the drive optimized and is "write caching" checked?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You might want to check the channel properties while you're in Device Manager. You should make sure the disk is running in at least UDMA 2 mode.

Attached Files:

• dma.jpg
      dma.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
  4. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

Here's what I get for both Primary and Secondary IDE channels:

[​IMG]

I noticed, also, that my computer seems to detect my 200GB IDE drive as SCSI... is that normal? :\ It says "ST320082 2A SCSI Disk Device" under Disk Drives in the Device Manager.

I don't think it detected it as so with my old computer.

5. JohnWill

Obviously, this is a SATA drive and connected to a SATA controller. I was thinking IDE.

Why not download HD Tune and run it against each drive and post the results here. Here's my 500gig SATA drive on this system.

Attached Files:

6. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

200GB IDE

[​IMG]

300GB SATA

[​IMG]

Houston, my SATA has a problem!

7. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

Sorry, yes, they're both correct.

I really hope this isn't a physical problem. =(

8. JohnWill

YUCK! You really do have a performance issue with that drive! :eek:

Look at the CPU usage for the slow one. SATA is just ATA with a different interface, and that SATA channel is almost certainly running in PIO mode. It's the only reason I can see that the CPU usage would look like that.

9. YLocke

YLocke Thread Starter

Ahh, fixed!

It was in fact running in PIO mode! I switched it to another physical ATA channel and now it works perfectly!

Thanks for the help, especially you JohnWill for suggesting HD Tune and also that it was in PIO mode.

:D

10. JohnWill

Glad we could help. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice