1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Pop-up trouble - please help me!!!! It's urgent!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by xxx chérie xxx, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxx chérie xxx

xxx chérie xxx Thread Starter

Alright! I've been having some trouble with my computer lately, and it's nearly fixed, but my only problems are these godforsaken pop-ups! I asked my friend (8dalejr.fan) about it and he referred me here. So here I go.

There was a big power failure here on 17 July, and either the disappearance of power during the failure, or the sudden resurgence of it upon the power being restored somehow messed up my operating system (Windows XP Home) and I ended up having to uninstall and reinstall it with the help of a neighbour who is in IT. I lost all my files. And if that wasn't bad enough, I desperately needed this computer to contact a loved one in Israel (we all know what's been happening over there). After about two weeks I've gotten it working at least - my High-Speed Internet works fine, though I'm having some problems with certain programs (MS Word won't install, I need a new copy).

However, the major problem is the number of pop-ups I am getting. And I can't understand why I am getting them! When Windows was installed properly before, there was a Pop-Up Blocker option when I viewed Internet Options through Control Panel. But not anymore. The reason they are frustrating me is that they just keep coming and coming, and sometimes when I try to close them, the Internet Explorer windows that I was using to do things on get closed along with them. And then I get a pop-up saying "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Do I have some sort of virus? Or do I just need a pop-up blocker? If anyone could recommend me a free pop-up blocker and/or virus scan program that I could download. And once again... free, if possible. I've spent too much money on this confounded contraption as of late!

2. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Hey Leah! :)(y)

The first thing I would do is download a program called Hijack This. Here are the instructions:

• Download Hijack This from http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
    • Save the setup file on your desktop
    • Double click on it and by default it should install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This
    • Continue through the setup and have it create a desktop icon for you
    • Follow all the prompts, click Finish, and have it start Hijack This
    • Click the "Do a System Scan and Save a Log File" option
    • Save the log file and then it should open with Notepad
    • Go to Edit, Select All to highlight the results of the log
    • Copy them once they have been highlighted
    • Go to Edit, Paste to paste the contents of the log here into a reply
    • Make sure you DO NOT fix anything with Hijack This yet. Most of the things in the log are normal or required.

The security experts will look that over (I'm NOT one of them lol) and we'll go from there. (y)

3. xxx chérie xxx

Okay. I have a problem. I downloaded it and there is a desktop icon. However, it does not run when I click on it. I don't know why though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll try restarting my computer... I'm so sick of this, honestly!

4. xxx chérie xxx

wonderful, I have a new problem - when I click on Highjack This to open it, something pops up... like a warning, but it's about the program I am attempting to run... but it closes before I can even read it. Something is blocking it - the same thing happens to me when I click "Empty" to empty my Hotmail junk mail. What now? I can't run it!

5. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Try to make it get the warning again. As soon as it pops up, immediately hit the Print Screen button on your keyboard.

Go to Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Paint.

Click Edit, then Paste. Save the screenshot as a .jpg to a location that you will remember or can find easily.

Come back here and make a new reply. Under "Additional Options" in the reply screen, click Manage Attachments. Click on Browse beside Upload Files from your Computer. Attach the .jpg.

I'm not sure what this error message is so I'd like to see it if it doesn't give you enough time to read it... I have no problems with Hijack This. :confused:

6. xxx chérie xxx

okay this has to be my fifth attempt at doing this - the pop-ups keep coming and coming!!

Attached Files:

• aaa.JPG
      aaa.JPG
      File size:
      146.5 KB
      Views:
  7. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

I'm pretty sure I've seen that warning before, I think it's just one of those precautionary warnings that you see the first time you launch the program.

What happens when you click OK? Nothing?!? It should take you to the Welcome screen for the program giving you a list of options to choose from.

8. xxx chérie xxx

well it closes right away! it doesn't stay open for long, but i did manage to get there fast enough and click it - but nothing happened because as when i clicked it, it was in the process of closing. it just flashes on the screen, it won't stay on for more than a second.

9. xxx chérie xxx

i tried something that had another result - i right clicked on the desktop icon and selected "Run As..." i made sure to deselect the part that said "protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity" because apparenlty when it is selected it can cause the program to function improperly. another window opened up, and that scan thing was on it - the thing you told me to do to scan and produce a log or something. however it vanishes just as fast as the other window did, and when i go back to "Run As..." that box is selected again, even though i had already deselected it

10. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

According to the HJT website, it may be closing on you if you are infected with a variant of a CoolWebSearch trojan that shuts down a lot of anti-malware programs.

Let's wait till the pros offer a suggestion of what to do next. (y)

11. xxx chérie xxx

alright, thanks for your help so far!!! so if i can get rid of that, HJT will work?

12. 8dalejr.fan

8dalejr.fan

Hopefully it should, or maybe something else is preventing HJT from running that an expert like MFDnSC or Cookiegal can figure out. I'll be back here a little later.

13. xxx chérie xxx

alright thanks, I'll just wait here for an expert to come along :)

14. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Try running it in safe mode

Download the trial version of Ewido Security Suite http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ (W2K/XP Only)
    · Install ewido.
    · Run the application
    · Clickon scanner
    · then select the "Settings" tab.
    · Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Delete".
    · Under "Reports"
    · Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
    · Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
    · Click Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
    · When the scan is finished, Set all items to delete
    · Apply all actions
    · look at the bottom of the screen and click the Save report button.
    · Save the report to your C: Drive
    This will take some time to run!
    RE-Boot
    Post that log and a new HiJack log

15. xxx chérie xxx

small problem - it says it can't delete something because it is embedded in an archive. do I remove the whole archive? and also some of the files have "Error while deleting!" beside them - do I just leave that?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice