1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: port forwarding a vpn

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lufkinp6, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

Hi all i have been trying for some time to port forward a vpn though my router but i do not want to use a vpn. currently i am out so i will post the router type when i get home. dose anyone know how to do this with a form of a netgear router. i have tried many times and it seems to not work. i don't know if the problem is with the router because when i am on my home network i can get it with my internet ip address just fine but when i go else were where i know i can get a vpn because i can use others vpn's i cant get to mine. any ideas would be helpful.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why are you trying to port forward for a VPN if you don't want to use one? :confused: What are you actually trying to do?

3. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

sorry about that i don't know what i was thinking when i wrote the post. i hardly recall righting the post. what i was looking for thought was the port number so that i can port froward the vpn through my router. dose anyone know what that is.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to enable VPN pass-through in the router.

5. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

how would i do that with a netgear wgr614 router v7

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

thanks so much i found the port number on there site i never thought of looking there

8. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

in case anyone was wondering it was port 1723 that is the port you would need to froward for a vpn

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

The caveat for port 1723 is that it's for PPTP. For IPSEC, there are other ports involved. IP ports 50 and 51. UDP port 500 and UDP port 4500. If you're using a Cisco client you're also looking at TCP 10000.

10. lufkinp6

lufkinp6 Thread Starter

all i know is that it worked and i have verizon dsl for an internet service with a netgear router with server 2000

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/709852