1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Port Forwarding issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Diego Wolfwood, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diego Wolfwood

Diego Wolfwood Thread Starter

I'm trying to forward a couple ports and it doesn't seem to be working no matter what I do. I created a static IP, forwarded both ports to it on my router configuration, and when I run PFPortChecker it says they are CLOSED. I've gone into windows firewall and added an exception for PFPortChecker as well. What else could be the problem?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Run the port scan at ShieldsUp for the specific ports and tell us if they come back stealth or closed. If they're closed, it's probably because the application isn't listening on the ports, not that the ports are not open.

3. Diego Wolfwood

Okay, I ran the port scan and both ports I'm trying to open appear to be in STEALTH mode. What does this mean?

4. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi Diego,

Stealthed basically means the scanner did not receive a response from the query on whether or not the port was open or closed. This means that your computer ignored requests on whichever port - more than likely a firewall (either on your router on the Windows firewall) is not responding to a connection on that port.

Try disabling your Windows firewall and trying to access the ports again. Then re-enable your Windows Firewall. If you recieve the same result, the firewall may be on your router and you may need to add the exceptions in there as well. Depending on your type of internet connection, you may need to forward the ports from your modem as well.

-- Russ

5. Diego Wolfwood

Alright I tested it, both ports are in Stealth mode whether Windows Firewall is disabled or not. How do I tinker with the router firewall settings, or forwarding the ports on my modem?

6. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Those settings will be specific to your model of router and modem. I would focus on the router first. Do you have the user manual that came with your router? If not, you can probably find instructions online. What is the brand name and model number of your router?

7. Diego Wolfwood

The router doesn't belong to me, so I do not. I know the model though from going into the router config. It's a LinkSys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 version 2.00.02

8. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

9. Diego Wolfwood

I have already done that, the 2 ports I need forwarded are already forwarded, but they are still in stealth mode.

Maybe it is a problem with my static IP address? I just noticed on my router configuration that it is set to "Obtain IP automatically"

However, I already setup my static IP by going into Control Panel/Network Connection/Properties of my connection/Properties of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and setup my static IP address there. Is it necessary to copy the same information down on my router configuration as well?

*EDIT*

I also found the user guide online for my router, and I couldn't find anything in it about a router firewall. There is one option that made me curious, "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" This option is enabled. Would this have any effect on my ports? If so, should I disable it?

10. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

If you've already set the ports to forward on your router, then the trouble may be with your internet modem. Embarq/CenturyLink, for example, does not automatically forward ports from your modem to your router - you need to set the modem to work in "bridged" mode first.

What internet provider do you have and why type of modem (cable, dsl, etc.) are you using?

11. Diego Wolfwood

All I know about the modem is what's printed on it. It's a Qwest Actiontec DSL Modem Model GT701-WG

I'm not sure of my ISP or if I'm on cable/DSL, though I assume my ISP is Qwest and I'm on DSL because they are printed on the modem. (It's not my modem or router, they belong to my landlord, I just use his connection, which is why I don't know any of these things.)

*EDIT*

I've tried accessing the modem configuration by going to http://192.168.0.1/
    However, I can't seem to do anything here, anything I click results in a 404 Not Found error.....

12. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Understood. If you are using Qwest (who, oddly enough, has just merged with Embarq/CenturyLink), your modem and service is DSL. As such, I suspect you will need to set your modem to bridged mode. Unfortunately, I don't know the specifics of how to do this with your modem and I would suggest contacting your landlord and/or Qwest for assistance with performing this task.

I worked for Embarq in their DSL Support department for a while and most times port forwarding issues were related to the modem not forwarding the ports. For security, your modem also acts as a router and data has to pass through your modem before it gets to your router or computer. So, when your computer makes a request to the internet, it is routed through your modem. Your modem then decides if it will forward the information to your router or computer. If your modem is not configured to listen on a specific port, even if you configure your router and your computer to listen on that port, the modem will not allow the data to pass through on that port.

Bridging your modem will allow your router to "take control" of the connection. Your DSL modem will pass any and all data (on any port) directly to the router and let the router handle where the data goes from there. We used to tell customers that, while you can bridge your modem without any issue, we do not support this setup and would be unable to assist you with technical issues with your router. They should, however, be able to tell you how to set it up.

13. Diego Wolfwood

Okay, thank you very much for the information, you've been a big help. If no one else knows how to bridge my modem I'll probably end up figuring out who to call to get it done. This is quite the run around....hehe xD

*EDIT* Oh duh, my NoScript was preventing my modem config screen from working properly. But now there's another problem, an Actiontec screen comes up, and the Qwest support website shows a different screen is supposed to show up, a Qwest modem config screen. What's going on?

14. Diego Wolfwood

I have found the user guide for my modem online, and after a bit of tinkering located the ISP Protocol section, it looks like this:

[0] RFC1483 Bridged
    [0] RFC1483 Routed
    [X] PPPoA
    [0] PPPoE

I am going to guess that if I select the Bridged option and apply it the modem will bridge to my router, and my ports will work. Before I do this I want to make sure this is the right thing I'm doing. Will there be any repercussions I should know about?

15. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi Diego,

Unfortunately, I cannot answer that question since I'm not sure of what Qwest's policies are for bridging your modem. However, I cannot imaging any objection on their part (almost all ISPs allow for this type of setup) but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they told you they could not offer assistance with this type of setup.

If you're concerned, I would recommend contacting Qwest directly. You can find their telephone number and link to online chat support here: http://www.qwest.com/residential/customerService/contactus/internet.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice