1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Port forwarding issues, Cannot forward port Please help! Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Networking' started by giovarmani, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giovarmani

giovarmani Thread Starter

Hello! I am trying to forward a port so i can connect to my computer because i want to stream a radio station from computer to my phone.

I'm trying to forward port 88 on my Linksys WRT54G Version 6

I tried that but Boardwave audio streaming server still says it's not open!

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm using Windows XP Professional 32-Bit
    Eset AntiVirus
    and using Windows firewall

What am i doing wrong?
    Thank you for your help!

Windows firewall screenie:
    [​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your embedded "pictures" didn't work out too well.

What is the brand and model of your modem?

Is the port open in the Windows firewall?

For the computer to which you forwarded the port please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. giovarmani

Hello! Thank you for your reply!

My modem brand is Linksys cable modem BEFCMC10, and attached to the modem i have a router (4 port ethernet and wireless) It's a Linksys WRT54G Version 6 Router.This is the only computer connected via ethernet, the others are laptops and are connected via wireless.

I'm not too sure if it the port is open, But i do have the program and the port listed on the 'excluded' list. (I updated the pictures)

Here is the ipconfig /all report:
    Thank you!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I couldn't find that model modem. I'm guessing you may have mistyped a letter. The reason I'm checking is to make sure that it is a modem only; sometimes people actually have a modem/router combination and don't realize it. Obviously that would be blocking port 88 if does include a router.

Otherwise, all the information you're provided looks correct to me, except for one thing that I do not understand. In the first picture, "Broadwave Options," for "Public Network" it shows your local or private (computer) address. Why does that not show your public address?

As a moderator I can see what your public IP address is. I took the liberty of typing that and port 88 into my browser and get what's showing in the attachment. Thought maybe I could enjoy your music. :D Is that what I should be getting? Clicking any of those links just gives a "time out" message.

However, If I use one of those Windows Media Player links and substitute your public IP address for the private address it starts playing "nove3cinco," but is very choppy as if you have very slow upload. If your computer was acting funny a minute or two before the time stamp on this post it is because of the testing I was doing. And, if the name "nove3cinco" makes sense to you then probably that configuration question I asked is the key to your problem.

Attached Files:

5. giovarmani

Hi again! :)

Sorry the Modem is Linksys BEFCMU10.

When i installed the program, Broadwave auto configured it to that ip address. Where can i find my public address? when i have it at 192.168.1.104 doesnt that mean that the people on my local network can only connect to it? Do you think if i put my public ip it'll work fine and dandy?

I didnt have the program on xD Probably thats why you're getting an error. I have the program running now. You may try it now :D. I tried streaming from my phone (which is connected to my wifi) and the stream, streamed great.

Yes, that is the same exact page i get when i want to give someone a link so they can connect to my stream via that link. and listen to what i am playing. nove3cinco is the radio i am streaming, and through my soundcard thats being played via a web flash player. I have it connected via microphone - Aux cable - speaker jack.

Thank you! :)

EDIT:

I tried various port checking websites, and it lists a different ip (Not the 192.168.1.104), and i typed in port 88, and it says it's open?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't need port forwarding or your public IP address when you are using your local network. If you are not going to use it over the internet you should keep the port closed to keep other people out.

An easy way to find your public IP address is whatismyip. Your router has a status section that will show it also.

7. giovarmani

Thats the part where i think it's keeping me from hearing the radio stream on my phone when I'm on the go :p I want to be able to hear the stream from my computer, using my phones 3G internet (not wifi) when I'm not home and also when I'm using someone else wifi (at the gym, school, starbucks, etc.) Do you think changing the 'Public Network' to my Public ip and port fix this issue? so i'll be able to listen to the radio without being tied down to only being able to listen to it at home & my local network?

Everything website i go on to check if that specific port is open keeps on saying port 88 is open.. But i dont think it is. do you think i should go with what the websites say?

sounds like Broadwave isnt really detecting the port. maybe it's a program issue? lol

i wouldn't mind if people listen in, i would only keep it on when I'm out, and when i come home. I turn off the program. :p

EDIT:

And also, When i run the "Run web routing and test wizard" on the Broadwave program, it checks a UPnP NAT. Does this 'NAT' seem to be blocked on my computer? Is that why I'm not able to connect?

8. giovarmani

Nevermind! I got it to work :D!! There was a pull down menu that allowed me to put up my Public IP as the "links to connect" and it worked! I tried it on my phone on 3G and it worked flawlessly! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice