1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Port forwarding with a modem and a router?!?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jjwolfe, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jjwolfe

jjwolfe Thread Starter

Hello!

I am trying to allow an external website access to my http://localhost:8080. It is a trusted website.

I have a ZyXel Q1000 modem and a Trendnet TEW-452BRP router.
    The TRENDnet is serving a PS3, Xbox, Wii, and 2 iMacs and the ZyXel is serving the TRENDnet.

My public IP for the ZyXel is 65.xxx.xx.152 and it's IP address is 192.168.0.1 with a range of 192.168.0.2-254
    My TRENDnet IP is 192.168.1.1 and a range of 192.168.1.100-199

I have setup a Virtual Server on the TRENDnet using HTTP, Protocol TCP 80/80 and LAN Server 198.168.1.109 (my iMac localhost).
    I have also setup Application forwarding and Port forwarding on both the modem and router (at different times, trying to resolve this).

Naturally none of those worked.
    I don't know if I need a Port forwarded or Application forwarding or the Virtual Server.
    Also don't know if either of those need to be on one or both devices.

All I do know is to access my localhost from the Internet, all I need to do is put http://65.xxx.xx.152 in the address bar of a browser outside my network, and my modem/and or router should forward the request to my iMac and my localhost:8080.
    But every configuration I have tried does nothing of the sort.

Been troubleshooting all holiday break and I am at my wits end... :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks a head of time,
    Jer

2. srhoades

srhoades

The problem is your modem is actually a router as well so you have a double layer of NAT. So you either need to turn off DHCP in the router and plug the modem into a LAN port, or you need to give your router a static WAN address (in the 192.168.0.x subnet) and put it in the DMZ of the modem. If you do the first option, then port forwarding will be done from the modem, if the second the router.

3. jjwolfe

jjwolfe Thread Starter

srhoades,

Thank you for the response..
    Okay, makes sense... turned off DHCP on router, plugged router cable into 1 of the 5 LAN ports.

Now the router has an IP 192.168.0.2, so it is getting its IP from the ZyXel modem now, so it out of the equation.

I set up port forward on the ZyXel using the IP of the main iMac as the LAN IP, correct?

So in my Port Forward setup..
    Starting port- 80
    Ending port- 80
    Protocol- TCP
    LAN IP address- 192.168.0.9 (my iMacs address)

If that is correct, then what is put into the URL section of the website to access my localhost?
    http://65.xxx.xx.152 or http://65.xxx.xx.152/localhost:8080/application/ ?

As usual I tried both and the site could not see the localhost, whats wrong?

Thanks again!
    Jer

4. jjwolfe

jjwolfe Thread Starter

Okay the admin emailed me and said I should use http://65.xxx.xx.152:8080/"application name"/

I did and still the site is not pushing files to my localhost....

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to forward the 8080 port instead of 80? Is my iMac doing something to not allow it to resolve?

Any sites I can attempt to access my localhost from to check and see if my modem manipulation and router redo were even successful?

Sorry lots of questions and not a lot of time... Lol

Jer

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you use just IP_address for the URL you forward port 80. If you use IP_Address:8080 you forward port 8080.

If your computer is listening on port 80 you forward to port 80. If your computer is listening on port 8080 you forward to port 8080.

6. jjwolfe

jjwolfe Thread Starter

Okay used both, and still no file pushing.

My iMac where the app is installed is the LAN IP for port forwarding, ya?

Neither works, so suggestions, websites for testing the port, or something, anything?

Only here till Tuesday, someone in the wide-world of tech has to know what I am missing?

Thanks for the help!
    Jer

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The attachment is the top part of the page I get with Your_IP:8080

Attached Files:

8. jjwolfe

jjwolfe Thread Starter

OKay it works, so it is the site then... well that is all I can do in this part of the country

Thanks so much for putting my mind at ease and it is something simple, unfortunately I can't resolve that. But at least it is out of my hands... now on to getting very drunk!

Thanks so much, TerryNet and Happy New Year!
    Jer

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice