1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable External Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hddprob, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

While I was backing up Window's Vista the other night to my external hard drive, my flatmate disconnected the hard drive accidentally. Now I can't access the hard drive.

When I plug the hard drive into the USB port on any computer, I hear the USB device connected sound windows plays, the installing your hardware bubble pops up and then says the hard drive is installed properly but I can't see the hard drive under Windows Explorer. When connected the Hard drive makes an odd noise like it's trying to read the hard disk but it can't.

All my University work, songs, and personal work are on this hard drive and I have no way of accessing it.

Can anyone help me/walk me through how to recover all this information?

If you need anymore info, please ask and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Cheers,

Rob

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you tried it on another PC...

Also take a look here and see if is there

Click Start>>right click My Computer>>Manage and then on the left-hand side click on Disk management.

3. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

No it doesn't appear under disk mgmt, and it doesn't work on other computers.

4. Megabite

Megabite

You can try taking it out of the enclosure and hooking it direct to a Desktop PC..........if it is not under warranty...how old is it?

5. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

I'd rather not. It's only about 2 months old so I don't want to void the warranty just yet.

6. Megabite

Megabite

Try going to the Manufactures site and see if the have a info for it......the drive does spin does it?

7. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

It spins then slows down then spins then slows down etc. This happens about 5/6 times then it just stops. It doesn't sound normal though. I had a look on the manufacturers website but it was fairly unhelpful. Here are the details anyway:

Western Digital Portable Hard Drive
    500Gb
    P/N: WDBAAR5000ABK-00

8. Megabite

Megabite

Well it is under warranty and they will probably have a recovery service but that won't be free but the HDD will be

9. hddprob

hddprob Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I don't lose everything on it!

10. Megabite

Megabite

Always make backups of important data..........BTW the recovery service is usually very expensive....you have to decide if the data is worth it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922382

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice