1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Portable Hard Drive not showing.. helpp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dark_thoughts, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dark_thoughts

dark_thoughts Thread Starter

I'd like to apoligize about asking for help about illegal programs.. wont happen again, i didnt read the important message up the top..

with this problem i have a portable hard drive and it was working perfectly untill i got this virus.."new win32" i formated the computer and the portable hard drive (phd) was working fine again..but some things werent working, so i formated again, and now the phd isnt working..

it doesnt show in "my computer", ive tried on another computer and it still didnt show upp..

please help.. don't have one clue on whats happening..

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

3. Athan

Athan

Dark Thoughts,

Some system spec and other info about the PHD would be useful here !
    although im guessing that since the drive is not visible on other machines as well, it could very well be a PHD issue !!

~a

4. dark_thoughts

i haven't tried any of those steps that "tt66" used, ill use them and see what i can do with them if not that ill go along with "elvandil" and if it doesnt work then ill let you know,

thanks ill keep you posted

5. Athan

Athan

Right click on My Computer, then click on Manage. Locate the drive under Disk Management or Removable Storage. Right click on it, and (re)format it. If this still doesn't make it visible in My Computer for you, then its a bad drive.
    Get in touch with the manufacturer and have it replaced !

~a

6. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Might be a firmware issue. I've seen drives act like this before but they had HDD passwords on them. Try installing the drive as "master" in a computer and boot from it. Of course this won't work but if the drive shows up as locked, you can try some utilities on the Ultimate Boot CD.

You can download Ultimate Boot CD here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

7. dark_thoughts

hey guys, thanx for all your help but I got it working...

i unscrewed the cover of the external hard drive and pluged it in with outs its case, it connected then disconected couple of times and now its just working as it did before..

if it melfunctions again ill try all those steps you guys provided thanks again people! much help!! much appeciated(y) :)

pretty wierd way of solving it ay haha

8. Athan

Athan

I'd say...but as long as its working ! :)

9. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Not so hard to believe. A lot of external cases cause problems. Usually the bigger ones with desktop harddrives inside.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice